Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Borealis

PreviousPage 2 of 3Next

The "Military" skin for Atlas is basically 100% what I pictured "military androids" to look like in my head. During the firt ARG with the ASCII screenshot leaks from the BBS where we first saw the 2 coop bots, I was pretty sure it was Episode 3 stuff and that that's exactly what they were going to be.

As for the Borealis, it's an icebreaker vessel with some sort of R&D portal tech on board. The Combine want it to absorb the technology into their own. It's very obvious from the HL2 series that they don't have that sort of perfect transportation tech available to them - they need a giant dark matter reactor just to power their own, in the HL2 finale - and since their M.O. is traversing the multiverse and conquering habitable worlds, they could really use it to do that more efficiently. And the rebels just want it to keep it out of the Combine's hands, obvious global reconstruction implications not withstanding. I imagine Eli wants it destroyed because the first time humanity played around with teleportation and reality warping, Half Life 1 happened.

One thing I really hope Valve does, is that the "Genetic Lifeform and Disk Operating System" that is onboard the Borealis is not the GLaDOS we know and love. It's a completely separated, much older version of the system. I'd really love it if it's voice were male and it was completely different from the GLaDOS from the Portal games. Totally uncorrupted, original version of the software.

One minor detail that Portal 2 fucked up though is that in Ep2, Kleiner (I think?) says that when the Borealis disappeared from Aperture it took part of the dry dock with it. But the Borealis dock in Portal 2 is totally intact although incredibly bland.

EDIT
Found this, wish it wasn't $20 because I love subtle game/geek stuff.

[Important Threads] Forum Rules | Welcome to the new Thinking With Portals
Please do not Private Message me for assistance. Post a thread if you have questions or concerns.
If you need to contact the staff privately, contact the Global Moderators via Discord.
msleeper wrote:
One thing I really hope Valve does, is that the "Genetic Lifeform and Disk Operating System" that is onboard the Borealis is not the GLaDOS we know and love. It's a completely separated, much older version of the system. I'd really love it if it's voice were male and it was completely different from the GLaDOS from the Portal games. Totally uncorrupted, original version of the software.

Hmm, sounds a lot like "the mainframe" from that Portal 2 machinima: watch it here
Watch the newest one. It's much more epic.
Now THAT I'd like to see.

msleeper also wrote:
One minor detail that Portal 2 fucked up though is that in Ep2, Kleiner (I think?) says that when the Borealis disappeared from Aperture it took part of the dry dock with it. But the Borealis dock in Portal 2 is totally intact although incredibly bland.

Maybe it sent it back. Anything could've happened in the 50,000 (or something) years between Portal 1 & 2.

chickenmobile wrote:
Time travel. Most probably the answer.
With time travel they could stop the combine, or the combine could completely rule the earth before humans had any way of retaliating.

Ooh, I like that idea. Maybe because I'm a big fan of time travel. And there's plenty of reasons to use and destroy it. You could even say it was hinted at in that one 70's chamber from Portal 2. But no, I think Valve is actively trying to keep their games (for the most part) on Earth, with time moving forward, so that none of their games can comepletely overshadow the others.

Seeing the Logic?

Did you know that American English isn't even my first language? It's actually [spoiler]British English[/spoiler]
Released maps of note:
[spoiler]Versatile Diversity
L-Circuts[/spoiler]

In regards to the dry dock comment msleeper made, I don't think that the whole room counts as a dock. It looked more like an area to build the Borealis than it does to launch it. I think the dock for launching the Borealis took place somewhere else since the old Aperture is inside an old salt mine.

Crazy is as crazy does.
My Work
[spoiler]Maps:
Revenge of the Angry Turrets
Capture the Cube [Co-op]
Capture the Cube 2 [Co-op]
TPWEGTH Sample Map
Aperture Aquatic Testing Center
Aperture Aquatic Testing Center 2
Aperture Time Testing Center
ML's Halloween Trick - 1000 downloads!
ML's Halloween Treat
ML's Combination - 1000 downloads!
ML's Jailbreak Labyrinth
ML's Tricky Teamwork [Co-op]
WIP:
"Capture the Cube 3"
Workshop Maps Link: http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198008890579/myworkshopfiles/[/spoiler]
chickenmobile wrote:
Time travel. Most probably the answer.
With time travel they could stop the combine, or the combine could completely rule the earth before humans had any way of retaliating.

Ooh, I like that idea. Maybe because I'm a big fan of time travel. And there's plenty of reasons to use and destroy it. You could even say it was hinted at in that one 70's chamber from Portal 2. But no, I think Valve is actively trying to keep their games (for the most part) on Earth, with time moving forward, so that none of their games can comepletely overshadow the others.[/quote]

Well, did you know they banned time travel in china? (Unrelated, I know.)

Side note: Playing a 3d, first person, shooter game, with lots of story and audio elements... WITH NO SOUND WHAT SO EVER? WTF?

do NOT click this
rellikpd wrote:
Side note: Playing a 3d, first person, shooter game, with lots of story and audio elements... WITH NO SOUND WHAT SO EVER? WTF?

I had subtitles :S!!

?????????????????????????????TWP Releases | My Workshop

:sigh:

[Important Threads] Forum Rules | Welcome to the new Thinking With Portals
Please do not Private Message me for assistance. Post a thread if you have questions or concerns.
If you need to contact the staff privately, contact the Global Moderators via Discord.

Chicken lives in the middle of australian redneck hell so its no suprise she can't afford speakers /jk

PortalStories.com
"Oh, in case you got covered in that repulsion gel, here's some advice the lab boys gave me: DO NOT get covered in the repulsion gel."
chickenmobile wrote:
rellikpd wrote:

I had subtitles :S!!

and did you have close captions too? :lol:

Test Chamber 74:
(percentage calculation sphere self-test failed!)
108.1% done, -8.1% remaining...
Released here!

All maps for Portal (1/2) worth playing are mirrored here.

Moo I'm a pony.

PreviousPage 2 of 3Next