Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Bethesda level designer makes portal map

http://bethblog.com/?p=336

This is no doubt in the wrong thread. It probably deserves to be moved to the Community Releases thread.

Companion Cube Chronicles WIP:
Story: 22.22222% Design: 33.33333%
Levels: 4.44444% Cake: 0.00000%
Voices: 0.0^3% in base 4
New models & Textures: ((e^28/pi*7)/0 - 42)%
Grief counseling: 111.11111%

This isn't supposed to be in the Community Release thread because our community didn't "make" the map.

Fair enough, so you're saying it's already in its rightful place?

The map's already in the download database. It's the one with the spinny room.

Yeah the guy has uploaded it here, but hasn't made any posts. Someone post at that blog with a link here telling him to say hey!

[Important Threads] Forum Rules | Welcome to the new Thinking With Portals
Please do not Private Message me for assistance. Post a thread if you have questions or concerns.
If you need to contact the staff privately, contact the Global Moderators via Discord.

An absolutely amazing level! Perfect difficulty, perfect length, and lots of skills involved.

Genious idea of the room :D

?But there?s no sense crying over every mistake.
You just keep on trying till you run out of cake!?

I'd only just realised that I've played ren_test1 before knowing it was made by this bethesda guy. After playing the second one, I'd have to say I'm very impressed by both, although both have at least one bug that I've found.

In ren_test1, the map begins to runs very slowly when reloading a save.

In ren_test2, the orb sometimes goes through walls, even when the room isn't moving.

ren_test2 also uses a concrete floor texture as a no-portal surface, which is a huge black mark on any map for me.

Shmitz wrote:
ren_test2 also uses a concrete floor texture as a no-portal surface, which is a huge black mark on any map for me.

I couldn't agree more.

I agree that the use of traditionally portalable textures as nonportalable is annoying. However, I think Ren Strike made a design decision to do that because he needed a texture that could serve as both floor and ceiling without looking wonky.

I really like this map. It definitely takes its cue from Portal single-player, but adds some great new mechanics.

Cr00ked.