Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Area/Hint brushes and camera animation

Page 1 of 2Next

Ok first off i have no idea what the hell Area/Hint brushes are, i know they are meant for lighting/npc work but no idea where to place them even though they are just brushes.
Any ideas?

Also is there anyways to make the security camera move without it looking at the player, i want it to look left then right.
I've tried using sequence scripts, it can't be made a dynamic so i have no idea... any ideas?

Cheers,
Mapster

I think you have some concepts confused. Hint brushes are used in optimization, they create manual VIS cuts so that you can help VVIS make smarter decisions. For example if you look in glview and VVIS is splitting up a room in ways it shouldn't, you can add in some Hint brushes as a starting point and try to help it out. The idea is kind of abstract, but I can elaborate if you want me to.

As for Area brushes, that doesn't exist. Do you mean Areaportals?

Neither Hint brushes or Areaportals affect NPC AI.

As for getting your camera to look around, I think you may kinda be fucked. Try finding and following a tutorial about how to get an AI Citizen to look at a certain spot and adapt that, or maybe try making an ai_relationship to make the camera hate an npc_bullseye or something.

[Important Threads] Forum Rules | Welcome to the new Thinking With Portals
Please do not Private Message me for assistance. Post a thread if you have questions or concerns.
If you need to contact the staff privately, contact the Global Moderators via Discord.

So... wtf is VVis? :?

And yeah i meant AreaPortal :roll:

Mapster are you serious?

[Important Threads] Forum Rules | Welcome to the new Thinking With Portals
Please do not Private Message me for assistance. Post a thread if you have questions or concerns.
If you need to contact the staff privately, contact the Global Moderators via Discord.
msleeper wrote:
Mapster are you serious?

Why would i ask if i wasn't serious msleeper?

I believe VVis calculates a portal-based visibility tree based on the BSP tree generated by Bsp.

Link, mah boi, this peace is what all true warriors strive for!

The camera is damn easy, really.

What I would do is:

Trigger the camera, and at the same time teleport the player inside an invisible func_train. place the train at the right of the brush and then move it to the left. I can make an example map later is you want.

http://www.dpgames.co.uk/

Sanity is not statistical.
espen180 wrote:
teleport the player inside an invisible funk train.

I can't wait to play this!

"Games are made out of smaller games ? turtles all the way down, until you hit the game that is so trivial and stupid it isn?t deserving of the name." --Raph Koster

On areaportals and hints, among other things:

http://www.student.ru.nl/rvanhoorn/opti ... pter=intro

Only a spider trusts the web
Hober wrote:
I can't wait to play this!

I've got the funk, right here. It's in this box.

Page 1 of 2Next