Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Aperture Science Vintage Computers

Hey everyone! I was just wondering if there was anyone who has identified what types of computers Aperture Science was using during the Cave Johnson era? I've been researching a bit and it looks like one of them might be a Commodore Amiga 1000. If anyone knows please share! :wink:

Thanks, Cave (I should know)

1.) Wrong forum, 2.) why does it matter?

[Important Threads] Forum Rules | Welcome to the new Thinking With Portals
Please do not Private Message me for assistance. Post a thread if you have questions or concerns.
If you need to contact the staff privately, contact the Global Moderators via Discord.

1. My apologies, I couldn't think of a better place. You can (re)move it if you like.

2. I want one. :D

I already moved it. You posted in "Portal SP" when there is clearly a "Portal 2 SP" board.

[Important Threads] Forum Rules | Welcome to the new Thinking With Portals
Please do not Private Message me for assistance. Post a thread if you have questions or concerns.
If you need to contact the staff privately, contact the Global Moderators via Discord.

My bad.

[geek]
If you are talking about this model:

80's comp.JPG

It's not an Amiga. The Amiga keyboard layout was different, and it didn't have a big red switch at the front like that one does. I'm 99% sure the model is based on one of the early IBM PCs (before they moved the switch to the side, since people were just using that to turn off the computer instead of shutting it down properly).

ibm pc.JPG

[/geek]

It's definitely an IBM PS/2 style computer, monitor and desktop checks out, but with a non-IBM keyboard. (Incorrectly shaped, wrong colors on the buttons, and 4 buttons on the right side of the space bar is way off.)

I'm always fascinated and curious about the computers and equipment in these games myself. Always imagined it would be cool to create some custom Commodore (AmigaC64) models for a custom map. Used to work as a 3d guy, I'm too lazy to try and figure out anything technical about Portal map creation, but it would be fun to just create the models (.OBJ format or something simple) and textures if anybody else would be interested in using it for a map and knows how to do all necessary file conversion etc.

Thanks for the insight on IBM PCs :)

I have a friend who was, and still is, a diehard commodore fanboy. Years ago I made a map of his house for a HL1 map, and included a brush-based Amiga 1200. I still have the wad file with the textures i used :D :

a1200.jpg

Incidentally, it seems that Commodore are making a comeback of sorts. They are releasing a line of systems with the old-school designs, but with modern internals, although they will still be backwards-compatible with the retro stuff. My first computer was a C64, and it's nice to see it hasn't been forgotten. They have a nice lineup of systems planned, with some classic designs.

http://www.commodoreusa.net/CUSA_Home.aspx