Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Any way to clear portals without fizzling objects?

Page 1 of 2Next

I was making a test chamber and I wanted to make sure the player couldn't portal through a certain area, but could still put portals on either side and walk through. So naturally, I used a fizzler. But it turns out I needed the ability to bring a cube through. So is there any way to do this without having to use Hammer?

Try turning off "Physics objects" in the flags for the 'trigger_portal_cleanser'.

ImageImage
srs bsnss wrote:
Try turning off "Physics objects" in the flags for the 'trigger_portal_cleanser'.
flarn2006 wrote:
So is there any way to do this without having to use Hammer?

I don't think its possible to do this in the Puzzle Creator. If you were to use Hammer, follow srs bsnss' advice.

Or you can make another instance if you want based on the fizzler instances and use a custom texture so people will know the difference if you don't want to export it each time, but you'll need to packrat the fizzler material.

Use a fizzler with a deathfield next to it. You can drop the cube in the deathfield, walk through the fizzler, then grab the cube.

Falsi sumus crusto!

@flarn2006: I think it's not clear enough what you're trying to achieve. Please explain a little bit more or take a picture of your map layout from the puzzle creator and post it here... cause I'm sure that you can redesign your layout in order to achieve what you need ;)

If what you are trying is to force is that the player loses his portals when trying to cross from one side to the other, you just need to make an intermediate corridor with a grate in the middle for instance with a white wall at each side: the player needs to portal on the other side to get there.

Or maybe you can make that corridor so there are 2 heights and the player needs to shoot a portal on the ceiling to be able to pass through to the other side...

ImageImageImageImageImageuseful tools and stuff here on TWP :thumbup:
[spoiler]ImageImageImageImageImage[/spoiler]
FelixGriffin wrote:
Use a fizzler with a deathfield next to it. You can drop the cube in the deathfield, walk through the fizzler, then grab the cube.

This is the approach I would recommend as well. Players know exactly how fizzlers and death fields work, so they will be able to figure out what to do with the cube. Also keep in mind that you can shoot portals through a death field, so position your white walls accordingly.

"Duct Tape is the answer."

Why not just use a grate?

?????????????????????????????TWP Releases | My Workshop

I saw a trick used for this once where you make a single-tile-wide hallway of nonportalable walls with a fizzler placed horizontally, so that the player can easily lift items over the fizzler, but can't avoid stepping through it and killing their portals. You'd have to be careful with what the player can see through said hallway, though, to prevent any bypassing.

Xindaris wrote:
I saw a trick used for this once where you make a single-tile-wide hallway of nonportalable walls with a fizzler placed horizontally, so that the player can easily lift items over the fizzler, but can't avoid stepping through it and killing their portals. You'd have to be careful with what the player can see through said hallway, though, to prevent any bypassing.

Whilst this is a working solution I personally hate it. Carrying things over fizzlers just feels too much breaking the rules to me.

Also you have to be careful there's no other way you can actually portal around it.

Page 1 of 2Next