Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Adding Maps to Portal 2

Page 1 of 2Next

I'm a bit green to this and I don't know how to use others maps. I was wondering if there was a bit of help for this. I see how to download the map but I don't know how to play the maps.

Place the BSP files in "(Steam folder)steamappscommonportal 2portal 2maps", then run Portal 2, enable the dev console in the options (under the advanced controls options), then press the ~ key and type "map" followed by the name of the map you want to launch (without the ".bsp" part).

Have a nice day,
~Sidneys1

^Click to go to my Steam Community Profile^

It is a little unintuitive.

When I die I want to be dissected by some mad genius and used in one of his evil schemes. It's great to be part of something bigger than yourself.

Im having problems loading the coop maps... I use the changelevel (mapname here) and it keeps disconnecting my coop partner... any help would be tremendous. thanks in advance!

Does your coop-partner have the map in the maps directory too? Both need the map. Or is there any error your partner can see in the console?

I did not know that both needed the map... hmmm... well, I do feel stupid, but thanks for the quick reply...

With Coop, the "host" needs to be the one who changes levels as well.

[Important Threads] Forum Rules | Welcome to the new Thinking With Portals
Please do not Private Message me for assistance. Post a thread if you have questions or concerns.
If you need to contact the staff privately, contact the Global Moderators via Discord.
msleeper wrote:
With Coop, the "host" needs to be the one who changes levels as well.

Host = Atlas, jsyk.

Have a nice day,
~Sidneys1

^Click to go to my Steam Community Profile^

I know several people that have struggled with adding user created/bonus maps to Portal 2 so I decided to help them and others out.

1. First download the maps you wish to add to Portal 2.

2. Then (extract the files if necessary) move the .bsp file to [wherever steam is installed]Steamsteamappscommonportal 2portal 2maps
**Unlike portal there is no bonus maps button so you will have to use the developer console (if you don't already).**

3. After launching Portal go into options > keyboard/mouse. Then "Allow Developer Console" must be enabled.

4. The default key to enter Developer Console is ` but if it is not ` for you or you don't like that key you can change it in "Edit Keys/Buttons" to what ever you would prefer.

5. Enter Developer Console then type, "map {nameofthemap}" (without the quotes) and press enter (as you were typing map the map you are wishing to play should have appeared).

I hope this helps you if you were struggling.
Special Thanks to all the people who have made maps for Portal and Portal 2 for all of us to enjoy.
Have a great day and have fun playing Portal 2 with user created maps!

If I gave bad instructions or if you have any tips on this subject please share.

ok... thanks...

Page 1 of 2Next