Please or Register to create posts and topics.

A Beam Too Far

PreviousPage 3 of 5Next

Sign? The one saying to make sure that everything...oh. OH!

I never would have thought of that on my own! Thanks!

Falsi sumus crusto!

Gosh darn it HMW you've trapped me again. :P

I felt so clever having figured out the puzzle after turning on the power...

And then the laser goes straight through the glass!

Falsi sumus crusto!

Beautiful map puzzle and very rewarding.
In the first room I was very confused and after 20 minutes it seemed impossible to recreate the cube in the valid position.
I asked for help from Jose that turned me on a little light in the head and after a while, the flash that made ??me say to myself, "Of course! How did I not think of that first ?"
The sense of disorientation between offices abandoned reminded me very much the feeling of the first times in Portal and when I realized how it was really rewarding.
The last test is the gluttonous cherry on the cake.
Here, too, have been there for quite some time before figuring out how to complete.

All in all, it is a large map that like the previous one can not miss in my collection of maps do not miss.
Thank you for creating it.

sorry for my English (use google translator and I hope I have not written the opposite of what I wanted)

@PCdoc : Thanks again for appreciation and for reporting.
@HMW : Thanks for the comment and appreciation of my map.

It's just a big barrel of pwn <3

Solved! But found a bug...I was playing the prerelease version while my internet is slow, so it might have been fixed.

I brought both cubes into the final room with the sendtor, used one on the button, then brought the last with me. I tried to fizzle it when I saw that it was unneeded, but there was a func_clip_vphysics blocking the doorway. Why? :S

But the puzzle was brilliant! Five stars!

Falsi sumus crusto!
FelixGriffin wrote:
Solved! But found a bug...

Of course, when I'm on the verge of releasing an update, something like this happens :)
I used the standard door instance from the game, which has a physics clip. I'll replace it with my own version.

Concrats on finishing it, BTW!

Edit: Update released!

changes:
* reworked the area with the cube platform in the last puzzle;
* fixed an unintended solution for the last puzzle;
* added some portal placement guides near the laser in the second chamber;
* removed unneeded physics barrier from exit door (thanks Felix!);
* minor lighting tweaks to the power-off state of the last chamber.

I must say I was kind of bothered with the half-fizzler situation myself. They were meant to stop cube tossing but it doesn't seem elegant. Instead, I just lowered the floor by 128 units. Not sure if that will make it physically impossible to heave a cube up there, but I think that anyone who manages that now, deserves the shortcut :)

(Also tried various ways of completely encasing the whole platform with fizzlers, but all of those setups were either cramped, prone to accidental cube fizzling, or generally not "Feng Shui".)

Sendificate series: Sendificate | A Beam Too Far | Airtime | 302
Other Portal 2 maps: Medusa Glare
Portal 1 maps: Try Anything Twice | Manic Mechanic

Wait, in that area I

Spoiler
Sorry, only logged-in users can see spoilers.
Was there a better solution?

Falsi sumus crusto!

You did it right. The unintended solution I was referring to, was to simply carry the lens cube up to the platform via portals. With the update, I moved the fizzler in the hallway to the other end, so the white floor is no longer available.

Moved this map to community spotlight for being absolutely awesome!

ps: you removed the url to the download page from your first post ;)

Whoops... that must have happened when I edited the post to add V2 the list of changes. Thanks for the heads-up!

I love your avatar image BTW :)

PreviousPage 3 of 5Next