Please or Register to create posts and topics.

2012 Mapping Competition winners!

PreviousPage 2 of 4Next

I played the best disqualified map, and the worst map. ChickenMobile, tc_vitrified is awesome. As for "Follow the Camel," my main complaint is this: Where is the damn camel?

Crazy is as crazy does.
My Work
[spoiler]Maps:
Revenge of the Angry Turrets
Capture the Cube [Co-op]
Capture the Cube 2 [Co-op]
TPWEGTH Sample Map
Aperture Aquatic Testing Center
Aperture Aquatic Testing Center 2
Aperture Time Testing Center
ML's Halloween Trick - 1000 downloads!
ML's Halloween Treat
ML's Combination - 1000 downloads!
ML's Jailbreak Labyrinth
ML's Tricky Teamwork [Co-op]
WIP:
"Capture the Cube 3"
Workshop Maps Link: http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198008890579/myworkshopfiles/[/spoiler]
MasterLagger wrote:
I played the best disqualified map, and the worst map. ChickenMobile, tc_vitrified is awesome. As for "Follow the Camel," my main complaint is this: Where is the damn camel?

It appears in the picture frame on the wall next to the air vent, after you get the Portal Gun. Following it is supposed to be indicative of the player using it as a clue regarding what to do next, which is to shoot your portal into the vent.

Congratulations to the winners!!! Specially Pitk! Impressive map! :notworthy: Just like the rest I've played from you, my friend!

Congrats to JWCreations too because the map is incredible! :thumbup: I loved the use of the diversity vents so clean and cleverly in the puzzles.

And ofc Moth, I already said I got my favourite map for winner only based in those pics you posted in the WIP Contest showcasing thread... I haven't played it though :( ................. Btw:

El Farmerino wrote:
Congratulations guys! Didn't play Moth's as I have no friends

Excuse me?? If it wasn't already clear: now you've got one :thumbup: Unfortunately, I'm aware you're in one of those journeys of yours and will be out for a while, so allow me play this with someone else :wink:

I'm eager to start playing many contest maps I haven't already played!

I'd like to congratulate also to the rest of mappers too for having released good maps as well that I will test immediately! With the contest and the later amending of my submission, I couldn't play much, so...

Congratulations finally to the staff for the contest! Even though there haven't been those many submissions as last year, it has been full of impressive works, surely hard to rate, but you got to carry it on awesomely! :notworthy: A hard work, no doubt. You are the best :thumbup:

So.... finally..... LET'S PLAY PORTAL2!!!!
:hi5:

ImageImageImageImageImageuseful tools and stuff here on TWP :thumbup:
[spoiler]ImageImageImageImageImage[/spoiler]
Moth wrote:
Every single competition entry was *astoundingly* good, considering we only had a week and a half. Serious thanks to the staff at TWP for organising this competition! :-)

You clearly did not play "every single competition entry" if that's the case. Follow the Camel is easily one of the shittiest Portal 2 maps I've ever seen (and I've played hundreds). It would have scored "perfect 1s" if it wasn't for the 2 that ChickenMobile inexplicably gave it for aesthetics.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/19093054/bestmapevar.png

Good show everyone!

It's pretty amazing how much quality work people can come up with in 2.5 weeks!
Being in the jury was a lot of fun, and I would love to do it again in the future.

SpAM_CAN wrote:
This may not be possible, but can we see the judges comments (if they exist)? It'd be more helpful to me for next year to know exactly what people didn't like.

I will post my judging comments on the maps' threads soon. I wasn't sure about doing this, but you're right, it's useful feedback for map authors, just like any ordinary reply.

Sendificate series: Sendificate | A Beam Too Far | Airtime | 302
Other Portal 2 maps: Medusa Glare
Portal 1 maps: Try Anything Twice | Manic Mechanic
Moth wrote:
Every single competition entry was *astoundingly* good, considering we only had a week and a half.

That's probably a little too generous. There were frustrating maps, broken maps, maps with missing custom content, and one map had a painful, headache-inducing colour scheme. There was plenty of good stuff too, but it wasn't a sea of perfection.

tanger2b wrote:
Congrats to all the winners. All these maps were great, and I'm glad I finally know who won. I'm kinda disappointed there weren't more entries, weren't there LOTS more last year?

Yes, last year there were more submissions. It's not a secret though that the community of Portal 2 slowly shrinks over time since the game is getting older.

that was the first game-related contest for me and i really enjoyed it!
more than expected actually :-D

congratz to the winners, i will certainly look for the next contest! :thumbup:

Djinndrache wrote:
Yes, last year there were more submissions. It's not a secret though that the community of Portal 2 slowly shrinks over time since the game is getting older.

Well, the community doesn't seem to shrink, but that's mostly because of the workshop and PTI mapmaker so I guess that doesn't affect this contest at all. Still, there seems to be quite a large fanbase.

On topic, of course, let me just say congrats to the winners, those maps truly are great. And congrats to Chicken, too, for having made a great chamber even with no chance to win as a judge. I've had fun playing some of these maps and will play through the rest as well.

Also, great job judges. :thumbup: I haven't played everything but from what I can tell you all took the rating process quite serious.

ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Maps in Development:
[spoiler]- Penrose 04 (on hold)[/spoiler]

Congrats the all the winners :notworthy:

Please excuse me while I return to the relaxation vault :notwant:

Lol I had a great time in the competition and got a lot of positive feedback and suggestions, so was very nice, you are a very welcoming community, rather than just getting called a noob (which I am :p)
It has encouraged me to start mapping so I hope to keep improving. Thanks again to everyone *hugs for all*

PreviousPage 2 of 4Next