Please or Register to create posts and topics.

What's up with downloading maps now?

Page 1 of 2Next

Hi there I'm just returning to Portal 2 after a 3 year hiatus. I used to play all the new custom maps on this site until I got stumped on a map called "7 gates" and never played the game again haha.

Anyways I finally started playing again and I guess the 3 years of time off helped because I finally beat "7 gates" after 45 mins of my first time playing it in 3 years. (although I did run through the single player game again to familiarize myself with everything again.)

Anyways onto my question. When I first used this site I used to just download maps, put them in my maps directory, then run them from my console with the "map (mapname.bsp)" command.

Now when I try to download things here it takes me to a steam page???? I don't have portal 2 on steam. How do I just regularly download the maps instead of going through all this steam malarkey?

Thx for any help

Valve released a major update, adding an ingame map editor and automatic downloading of maps and stuff. Manually copying BSPs still works, but most people just upload to the Workshop so users can download, rate, etc easily. You should be able to get the Steam version of the game somehow, or something of the sort to be able to load it. Does your main menu screen have a "community test chambers" button just below the coop button?

My stuff:
[spoiler]- BEE2 Addons | (BEE2)
- Hammer Addons
Maps:
- Crushed Gel
- Gel is Not Always Helpful[/spoiler]

No I don't have that option. This is what my screen looks like.

Did you try adding Portal 2 to Steam and then check for the last update ? Dunno if it could work, just an idea.

Lend us your steam name and I will send you an "updated" copy. :)

PortalStories.com
"Oh, in case you got covered in that repulsion gel, here's some advice the lab boys gave me: DO NOT get covered in the repulsion gel."
iWork925 wrote:
"updated" copy

:lol:

Rlski wrote:
Did you try adding Portal 2 to Steam and then check for the last update ? Dunno if it could work, just an idea.

It wants a key and I have no idea where the key is or if I even have one. Am I going to have to buy the game on steam just to play maps now? not that $20 bucks is that big of deal, but still it's a nice dinner and a pint of beer. :P

Yes, I think you'll have to buy it.
See it on the bright side, there's a lot of nice maps and mappacks in the workshop, you just have to watch for the lots and lots of bad PTI stuff and don't get your map list full of them.

Btw, in case you've missed it, PTI stands for Perpetual Testing Initiative, also known as the in-game puzzle creator, that's what brought the workshop

Please disregard any undeserved compliments.

Steam Profile
Workshop
PedroDeak wrote:
Yes, I think you'll have to buy it.
See it on the bright side, there's a lot of nice maps and mappacks in the workshop, you just have to watch for the lots and lots of bad PTI stuff and don't get your map list full of them.

Btw, in case you've missed it, PTI stands for Perpetual Testing Initiative, also known as the in-game puzzle creator, that's what brought the workshop

Looks like I've missed a lot since I last put down the game. How does one avoid these bad maps?

I used to recommend spotlight maps - but sleeper fucked that over. Just download highly rated maps I guess... downloads.php?cat=10

PortalStories.com
"Oh, in case you got covered in that repulsion gel, here's some advice the lab boys gave me: DO NOT get covered in the repulsion gel."
Page 1 of 2Next