Please or Register to create posts and topics.

What makes a great BTS map?

PreviousPage 2 of 3Next

This is what my BTS area and offices look like. More updates of my map in my ThinkingWithPortals Map Showcasing Thread post
Offices
Ditto
Ditto
BTS area
Ditto
Ditto
Ditto
Ditto
Ditto, seen from the top
Official test chambers entrance, with a "security office" for employees to open the door using the ball
A closer view of the Lock-the-Door sign
Hole where the ball needs to be deposited in order to open the door
Ditto, with a ball opening the door

What do you guys think? All feedbacks appreciated! :)

Impressive use of the "open spaces" as you put it. I love how you have a missing section of tube directly above a destroyed section of walkway. Although, the ring at the ends oft he pipes on either side of the gap looks a little too much like "oh this section was supposed to be missing". You need to make it look as though the section simply fell off. Otherwise, it pulls the player out of the moment. Also, the huge screen in your office area is rather out of place. That graphic is used in the coop levels and doesn't really fit with a BTS map. Otherwise, it looks very good.

Wow! That was...uh, yeah. Just, yeah.
protoborg wrote:
Impressive use of the "open spaces" as you put it. I love how you have a missing section of tube directly above a destroyed section of walkway. Although, the ring at the ends oft he pipes on either side of the gap looks a little too much like "oh this section was supposed to be missing". You need to make it look as though the section simply fell off. Otherwise, it pulls the player out of the moment. Also, the huge screen in your office area is rather out of place. That graphic is used in the coop levels and doesn't really fit with a BTS map. Otherwise, it looks very good.

Thanks!
The idea of having those rings at the ends of that broken section is to act like "Oh, this section is missing. We need to replace this as soon as possible", where they put rings on the ends of the tube, following a somewhat "safety procedure", to prevent any malfunction as they get it replaced. Also, I plan to include a sign reading "Due to a tube malfunction, item transporting may be slow", with only one or two cubes flowing in each line of tubes.

The huge screen is often found in the office area, and the office area is part of BTS, as seen in the end of the coop courses, so I don't think its out of place :P

If you be interested in make a closed bts space, this map it's a good example of it =)

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/f ... d=79654128

epotolito wrote:
If you be interested in make a closed bts space, this map it's a good example of it =)

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/f ... d=79654128

Yeah, I played it before, the map is awesome and its a good example of a closed BTS area. What I needed previously was the open BTS space, but its okay. I'm done with my BTS map already. Thanks anyway ;)

Hey, that's realy impressive open bts area you've built. Though I have one remark: looking at your fog I can see lighter parts in corners of skybox. Apparently, you've enclosed your map in a big cube and use texture toolsblack_noportal for its inner sides, right? That's not the way it should be. Use skybox texture instead and in map properties set skybox texture name to sky_black. This will make your fog look much better. Check two picturs below to see the difference.

Spoiler
Sorry, only logged-in users can see spoilers.

God bless the quick save's inventor...(Portal: Prelude)
greykarel wrote:
Hey, that's realy impressive open bts area you've built. Though I have one remark: looking at your fog I can see lighter parts in corners of skybox. Apparently, you've enclosed your map in a big cube and use texture toolsblack_noportal for its inner sides, right? That's not the way it should be. Use skybox texture instead and in map properties set skybox texture name to sky_black. This will make your fog look much better. Check two picturs below to see the difference.

Spoiler
Sorry, only logged-in users can see spoilers.

Thanks, but I have my skybox texture name to sky_white because I have an overgrown chamber together with the BTS area. Do I change it to sky_black? >_<

RectorRocks wrote:
Thanks, but I have my skybox texture name to sky_white because I have an overgrown chamber together with the BTS area. Do I change it to sky_black? >_<

Then you have 2 options:
You can change the skybox ingame via a command (I didn't test it but it sounds awesome). You have to create the white light manually though, but that shouldn't be a problem.

OR

You use a white texture for your destroyed parts of the map which creates light. You can also add some light-entites if the light of the texture isn't enough (or you scale it and make it smaller - this makes your texture emit more light).

RectorRocks wrote:
I have an overgrown chamber together with the BTS area.

It's rather wierd to have that combination in one map. Overgrown chambers are suppoused to be near the surface, while foggy bts area somewhere deep under the ground. So be careful with transition in order not make it too sharp.

As for the skybox type. You can toggle it in game. It's realy awesome and easy. Go to map properties and set sky type you want to start with (let's say sky_white). Also there set a name for your map. Then somewhere in transition area create a trigger_multiple with output OnStartTouch >> name in map properties >> AddOutput >> Skyname sky_black. Also you can enable the fog here.

God bless the quick save's inventor...(Portal: Prelude)

Thank you greykarel and Sprowl! I'll try it out and let you guys know if it worked :)

The overgrown chamber is accessed from a broken observatory room window, which means you're already in the BTS areas when you first see the overgrown chamber. Also, the overgrown chamber doesn't play a big part in the map, you can't solve the puzzle and open the exit door in the overgrown chamber, because the mechanics are turned off. After you did what you need to do in the chamber, you go back through the broken observatory room window and continue through the BTS areas. See my ThinkingWithPortals Map Showcasing Thread post if you don't get it.

Is it still weird that I have an overgrown chamber together with the BTS area in the map? :P

PreviousPage 2 of 3Next