Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Wall Button and Box Racing

PreviousPage 2 of 2

I was able to open the door at the end of the first puzzle by

Spoiler
Sorry, only logged-in users can see spoilers.
Although I'm sure this was unintended, I was relieved because I couldn't for the life of me figure out how to get to it otherwise.

Then at the end it took me a while to figure out what

Spoiler
actually does.

But overall, well done!

first try, i dont think i used the blue gel once

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=87q40YxbnKg

I'm playing custom maps and record my first time of playing them. So the run is not perfect and may not use only intended ways, but maybe it can let you see how other people may understand the map or you could just enjoy someone playing this map for entertainment.
Anyways, here is the recording:

x9ehnv-kKGM
(Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x9ehnv-kKGM)

Also note the video description for more feedback and my signature for additional project information.

Nice map.
In the first part i was able to make it without using the blue gel and the big red button.
I make the jump with a portal on the highest portalisable surface and manage to fall near the exit.

Like that:
kQJzNmeKqYE

Enjoyed the map! First puzzle can be shortcutted by portaling to the exit from the high panel (portal to the high panel and from there portal to the end). Then you can just jump and hit the button to open the exit door.

I basically did what Sherik did for the first puzzle. That puzzle confused me. It took me a while to properly hit the wall-button and by the time I did I had already found that alternate way up to the high ledge(I actually thought that alternate way was the intended method until I read this thread) so I was confused by the

Spoiler

I completed the second puzzle the intended way the first time I played, but this thread got me thinking about shortcuts, so when I replayed I found this shortcut for the second puzzle:

swbbr_shortcut.rar

Spoiler

My 8 year old daughter found a shortcut to finishing the first part of the map, and insisted on describing it herself:

Spoiler

Fun map, nice creative puzzles.

Spoiler
That worked perfectly the first try, so I assume it's the intended solution.. Pretty easy, but I almost didn't notice it. Then my daughter found a third way by herself (described above). The second part was very clever. We also liked the hidden area (well not that well hidden). Thanks!

Screenshots showing the shortcut I mentioned earlier that my daughter found...

Spoiler

I liked the style of this map, you captured the 70's look quite well. Same Cave Johnson lines would have really made it fun.

The puzzles weren't too difficult. Like some here, I didn't get the first button intended solution until after

Spoiler
. I don't consider that a defect; multiple possible solutions are often more fun to figure out.

The blue gel between the rooms distracted me for a while

Spoiler

The second puzzle was easy to figure out, but a bit tough to execute playing with a controller. It's not your fault I don't play with a mouse so that I can aim faster and more accurately. An extra second on the timer wouldn't hurt, though. I just missed it several times.

This one needs just a little tweaking to enhance the playability, but I give it a solid 4/5 because it does work and it looks great.

Expand for my full signature
[spoiler]My YouTube Channel: Please subscribe!
My Steam Workshop Check out my collections for some good maps
Basic Mod for playing .vpk files Needs to be updated for dlc2, but still works[/spoiler]

In the second puzzle, it was not clear what happened after the cube pressed the button. Only some noise can be heard but to see what exactly happened (

Spoiler
) was hard.
Plus, timed puzzles suck (and everyone knows that)...
There is a shortcut in the first puzzle which allows bypassing of blue gel (and, therefore, not having to press the button in a pixel-perfect fashion).
Spoiler
//edit after reading this thread: I was not the first to spot this :snooze:
Still, visuals were great and so my rating is 3/5.

Test Chamber 74:
(percentage calculation sphere self-test failed!)
108.1% done, -8.1% remaining...
Released here!

All maps for Portal (1/2) worth playing are mirrored here.
PreviousPage 2 of 2