Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Upload Map Without Triggering Level Ends

Hi,
I'm working on a Portal 2 alternate story called Portal 2 Reboot, would it be possible to either: 1, upload a VPK to the workshop, or 2, upload the maps without using the trigger level end thing, and only having it at the end of the chapter.

Thanks,
L99

you cant upload vpks, but I think you could call to change level, as-long as the player has that map downloaded aswell, although the workshop does handle maps and directories differently in the PTI, I suppose the only way to really know for sure is to try it out yourself :D

Also, I made a map just for you! Sunset
Click Here to view my Workshop and play my puzzlemaker maps
BenVlodgi wrote:
you cant upload vpks, but I think you could call to change level, as-long as the player has that map downloaded aswell, although the workshop does handle maps and directories differently in the PTI, I suppose the only way to really know for sure is to try it out yourself :D

Ok, so make it as if a normal portal 2 map with level changes and whatnot, and have a logic relay, but that only get triggered if you let's say no clip into a separate inaccessible room?

Jeess! The uploader is really demanding! And also, for some reason VPKs work for my mac, but not my PC, and I put the VPKs in my maps folder and they work! Whatdafuq is all that schanizel about?

Doing this with the PTI would be tricky full stop, as it doesn't allow you to upload collections of maps as a single item. You could possibly bypass the elevator and put a change level trigger there but that would require the user to have all of the other maps in the same folder.

Personally i'd just put the first level onto the workshop as a demo and then release the full pack as a mod and put a link to the full mod in the description.

Shane wrote:
Doing this with the PTI would be tricky full stop, as it doesn't allow you to upload collections of maps as a single item. You could possibly bypass the elevator and put a change level trigger there but that would require the user to have all of the other maps in the same folder.

Personally i'd just put the first level onto the workshop as a demo and then release the full pack as a mod and put a link to the full mod in the description.

Thanks, I will be keeping that in mind, but can anyone explain why VPKs work on my mac? That's just... Woah!

I would guess that whatever is messing up VPK support on the PC, doesn't do so on the Mac. Other than that IDK. (Don't own a Mac.)

If you're making a map pack, you're probably better of making your own game or "mod" folder. It's much easier for players to manage and install. (Extract to "SourceMods", restart Steam, select mod entry from game menu.)
You can use this mod template by KennKong as a starting point. (He made it for playing maps packaged as VPKs, but it also works for creating your own map pack.)

Sendificate series: Sendificate | A Beam Too Far | Airtime | 302
Other Portal 2 maps: Medusa Glare
Portal 1 maps: Try Anything Twice | Manic Mechanic
lukeme99 wrote:
Shane wrote:

Thanks, I will be keeping that in mind, but can anyone explain why VPKs work on my mac? That's just... Woah!

Have you tried verifying, and / or erasing the folder containing the SDK and reinstalling it? I found that when I had crashes with Hammer on Windows verifying the SDK cache fixed the issue for me. Obviously don't delete your maps ;)