Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Update On SDK Timeframe

Page 1 of 3Next

This email comes from the HLCoders mailing list from Valve programmer, Mike Durand.

Quote:
On 10/15/07, Mike Durand wrote: I'm shooting for an update that includes the updated tools this week or early next. After that I will work on an update that includes the new game DLL code and I am hoping that it will be available in beta by the end of the month.

I'll let you guys know if I run into any problems that invalidate these timeframes.

. . .

It's a little bit complicated, but hopefully I can explain it well. CS:S (along with DoD:S and HL2MP) are going to be migrated to the new engine over the next couple of months. Until then you should *not* merge in the new SDK code as it will not work with the old engine. Once we convert the three MP games you *will* want to create a new version of the mod using the updated SDK source code. Makes sense? Sorry I can't be more specific about exactly when the games will be converted to the new engine. Mike

. . .

You will have the option of still using SDK Base which will still be linkedto the Ep1 engine or you can base your mod on the new app IDs for Ep2, Portal, or TF. We will probably make a new SDK Base that uses the Orange Box engine too.

What does this mean for us mappers? Not much at this point. The editing portion SDK is still slated to be updated within a week or so, so we won't have to be using the workaround for much longer (we hope!). What Mike is talking about is the SDK Base, which applies to the older games that are still using the older version of Source - not the Source 2007 engine that Episode 2, Portal, and TF2 use. When the older games are fully updated, then the full SDK Base update will be released, and newer mods will be able to use the new technologies - including Portals.

Here's hoping they're on time!

[Important Threads] Forum Rules | Welcome to the new Thinking With Portals
Please do not Private Message me for assistance. Post a thread if you have questions or concerns.
If you need to contact the staff privately, contact the Global Moderators via Discord.

Lol at the last line of text you put.

msleeper wrote:
Here's hoping they're on time!

:lol:

Still, me too.

Plus I kinda hope its soon, I got half term coming up this week so thats a full week of mapping if he decides to release between here and sunday.

Life is like a pipe, it's hard to get through and you're not always guaranteed a happy ending.

I keep hearing October 30th is when the beta tools SDK will be released (Hammer, etc.) but I can't verify where that info is coming from yet.

Please do not Private Message me for assistance. Post a thread if you have questions or concerns.
If you need to contact the staff privately, contact the Global Moderators via Discord.

Awesome, I honestly can't wait any longer for the SDK.

Any news about its release is good news!
...or so we hope. :)

[img]http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r146/uploadlol/sig_plastic-2.png[/img]

It's been over a week now right?

Good ol' Valve. :evil:

Life is like a pipe, it's hard to get through and you're not always guaranteed a happy ending.

Grudge wrote:
It's been over a week now right?

Good ol' Valve. :evil:

Man, Valve is amazing. Dont get mad at em because they take a couple extra days to get an editor out. Give em a bit of slack. :)

We'll see if it happens on the 30th or not.

Guitar wrote:
Man, Valve is amazing. Dont get mad at em because they take a couple extra days to get an editor out. Give em a bit of slack. :)

They are amazing. Yes they are. But why is it so hard to release an SDK to the public? It's obviously ready, it was used to make Portal!

Grudge wrote:
They are amazing. Yes they are. But why is it so hard to release an SDK to the public? It's obviously ready, it was used to make Portal!

That's not necessarily true. If you used the alpha release version of Hammer, you know what I mean. Sure, they made the HL2 maps with it, but that didn't make it easy or pretty.

I'd rather have the alpha version, over nothing. It could at least allow me to do something.

Either way there is a version out there in which one can make maps with.

Page 1 of 3Next