Please or Register to create posts and topics.

The ThinkingWithPortals Map Showcasing Thread

PreviousPage 254 of 257Next
josepezdj wrote:

I'm not trying to be rude, but here's my honest CC: It has a lot of promise but the execution is really bad, especially the textures. There's no consistency. The white walls don't look good against the black ones, the floor doesn't mix well with anything, and the Portal 2 textures/models are jarringly different from everything else in the picture.

Couple this with the boxy design, and IMO it just looks like a Doom level with HD textures.

@Ciirulean: thanks for your sincere comment, mate. I guess we have different tastes since I'm pretty happy with the result. Cheers!

ImageImageImageImageImageuseful tools and stuff here on TWP :thumbup:
[spoiler]ImageImageImageImageImage[/spoiler]
Ciirulean wrote:
josepezdj wrote:

I'm not trying to be rude, but here's my honest CC: It has a lot of promise but the execution is really bad, especially the textures. There's no consistency. The white walls don't look good against the black ones, the floor doesn't mix well with anything, and the Portal 2 textures/models are jarringly different from everything else in the picture.

Couple this with the boxy design, and IMO it just looks like a Doom level with HD textures.

Gonna have to second this. The textures just don't really look nice together; the wood doesn't really go with anything nicely. Sorry.

i do not agree with your opinion please remove yourself

In my opinion, the map is nice. Jose, I have spotted an antline mistake of yours, in antline 'wall switch' (from wall to another wall, from floor to wall etc.) you should not use Aperture logo antlines, but in this case, big squares.

@TreasureGhost: thanks for your appreciation, man!

TreasureGhost wrote:
you should not use Aperture logo antlines, but in this case, big squares.

Hmm... I think I didn't use any Aperture logo antiline, but I'll check for it, thanks.

ImageImageImageImageImageuseful tools and stuff here on TWP :thumbup:
[spoiler]ImageImageImageImageImage[/spoiler]

You must use aperture logo antlines which in this case are big squares, but not in wall switch, only when its a 90 degree turn on the same axis, you should also not use them near an indicator panel, but I doubt you did.
Cheers!

Hmm. It's a very interesting design. Looks "boxy" from the screenshot, I guess you could say that, but as a PTI man myself I see no shame in "boxy" :)

The wood is definitely a bold design choice but, I think it might work. Adds some color to the room, I suppose? Having just a plain black floor would be super dull so having the wood there shakes it up a bit. I'll have to wait and see how it looks in-game :)

Working on my first map using the destroyed theme.
http://imgur.com/ZFAQyE1
Got the base shape down, and started detailing it now.

ImageImage

Looks cool! Keepit up. ;)

Josepezdj: I think the wood looks weird first because it gives a direction on the floor (its either north/south or east/west where they stretched, but IMHO that makes orientation easier, and I a wooden footstep sound I guess...
I have a feeling that I will like the design, but not the puzzle :)

-= Check out my maps: workshop, and their .vmf sources: homepage =-
PreviousPage 254 of 257Next