Please or Register to create posts and topics.

The crouch/jump manuever

PreviousPage 2 of 3Next

It's also very useful in Counter-Strike and Team Fortress.

i agree "shift to crouch" IS all the training one needs. HOWEVER its not in portal, and portal very well could be the FIRST AND ONLY game a person has ever played, not likely, but possible. not. the reason its not trained in portal is cuz its not needed. anywhere. so. thats all i'm saying. atleast one little ledge, that the ONLY way to bypass by jumping and crouching should be in a map (or atleast the first of a series of maps) if that mapper expects a person to know how to do it.

do NOT click this

There is a entity in Hammer where you can disable auto crouch jumping as far as I remember, so I presume that simple crouchjumps are done automatically but not in all cases.

Made Logic Portals in early 2008. Making diportals in 2011.
Author of Minecraft mods (MAtmos, Minaptics, NoteSlider) and Garry's Mod addons (Gunstrumental, SharpeYe, GarryWare, DepthHUD).

In my maps, I tend to not use it at all. Because, as rellikpd said, I saw people playing a Valve game for the first time with Portal, and crouch-jumping is not as obvious as we think. Personally, I try to extend edges with little platforms to avoid 128 units jumps.

I think it's legitimate. I crouch jump all the time. It's actually like an automatic reflex for me. It would probably make a map harder for me if it required me NOT to crouch jump.

The only techniques I wouldn't consider legitimate are ones that require to you glitch the game it some way. I've played a couple maps that required that wall climbing technique where you take an object and grab/jump at the same time to float to the top. That just shouldn't be required as most people don't even know about it, nor would they be able to figure it out on their own. I wouldn't consider a strafe jump legitimate either, even though you were pretty much required to do it in order to get gold on challenge room 17.

Well, I've been playing Half Life since it first came out, and I play TF2. Jump/Crouch isn't part of my normal moves. I rarely use it unless I can't figure out another way.

I understand a lot of people feel it's a legitimate maneuver. It's been in the engine code since Half Life. In fact Valve DOES describe the dimensions the various maneuvers can cover:

http://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki ... Dimensions

So since crouch-jump wasn't used in the Basic Portal or the challenge levels is there a good way to communicate to the player how to use this maneuver properly?

:idea: Maybe the next mapping challenge should be about teaching a specific technique...

So THAT'S how you do that!

If you want to talk about HL1, the tutorial even made you do it. Anyone remember the tiny tunnels?

THEY CALL HIM BOSS, HE'S THE BOSS, BOSS.
notDonut| wrote:
If you want to talk about HL1, the tutorial even made you do it. Anyone remember the tiny tunnels?

Or about 60% of the ventilation shafts after that? IMO it makes sense that if you pull your legs up you spend more time above the portal and gain more momentum.

EDIT: If you disagree with my logic fuck you.

Duffedwaffe wrote:
Or about 60% of the ventilation shafts after that? IMO it makes sense that if you pull your legs up you spend more time above the portal and gain more momentum.

EDIT: If you disagree with my logic fuck you.

... o...k...

I think my point was it IS a legit maneuver in Half Life. I also think it's never TAUGHT as a technique in Portal. And Portal ISN'T Half Life. So people who only play Portal WON'T know the technique. Which makes downloaded maps a bitch to play if you don't know how to crouch/jump. And I think I was suggesting maybe there's a way of bringing people up to speed on it. So... no, I don't disagree with your logic. I just think we can do better.

So THAT'S how you do that!
Tigger wrote:
... o...k...

I think my point was it IS a legit maneuver in Half Life. I also think it's never TAUGHT as a technique in Portal. And Portal ISN'T Half Life. So people who only play Portal WON'T know the technique. Which makes downloaded maps a bitch to play if you don't know how to crouch/jump. And I think I was suggesting maybe there's a way of bringing people up to speed on it. So... no, I don't disagree with your logic. I just think we can do better.

In all honesty, how many PC Portal players would you actually estimate haven't played HL2/HL1/Any other game that requires it.

Sure we could bring them up to speed, but I don't want a damn tutorial on "hao 2 get up thar" in every single custom Portal map.

Until this completely divides the community into two separate warring factions I don't really think anything should be done :

THEY CALL HIM BOSS, HE'S THE BOSS, BOSS.
PreviousPage 2 of 3Next