Please or Register to create posts and topics.

The Companion Cube

Page 1 of 2Next

Was I the only one disappointed in the short role the companion cube played in Portal 2? I won't go into details about how I'm angry with how easy the game was this time around, but the companion cube level was so short, although i enjoyed the jokes they made with fizzling it. Compared to Portal 1 when you had to carry the same companion cube through a fairly long level, and such a big deal was made out of killing it.
I don't know, with how much of the fan base seems so love the idea of the companion cube (including myself) I was disappointed with how little was done with it. thoughts?

Obviously Valve doesn't want the same Portal 1 memes (cake, Companion Cube, Hoopy the Hoop, etc.) to stay in Portal 2, because that way there would be no sense calling it "Portal 2" if there is nothing new. So, instead of "memes", they made almost movie-like story elements (metamorphosis, different protagonists/antagonists, etc.)

Trivia: this is the very second account I registered with the nickname ASBusinessMagnet, after my YouTube channel.

I see where you're coming from Prok, but I think a big issue is that the attachment to the WCC came about in the original game more because of necessity than a storyline device. The dev commentary says that they had the WCC take on a friendship role because they wanted to trick the player into carrying it with them through the chamber so they could ultimately incinerate it (people were solving the puzzle without the cube period). Plus, I give them credit for not returning to plot devices in the sequel. I think the number of references in Portal 2 was just right considering the role it played in the original game.

Plus, I'm now just as attached to the

Spoiler
Sorry, only logged-in users can see spoilers.
as I was to the WCC. More, perhaps.

Now with 100% more inline comments!
WinstonSmith wrote:
Spoiler

Really? How about

Spoiler
?

Trivia: this is the very second account I registered with the nickname ASBusinessMagnet, after my YouTube channel.

Eh, I can see where you're coming from. My problem isn't with that they didn't play up the companion cube, that part I can understand with Portal 2 being its own game. I just really enjoyed the type of puzzle in the first which you had to cling to your one cube to solve multiple parts of the puzzle, and was disappointed with the lack of this type of puzzle I suppose. :/
Still really enjoyed the game :D hopefully some custom mappers can fulfill my need for a worthy companion cube level :D

ASBusinessMagnet wrote:
WinstonSmith wrote:
Spoiler

Really? How about

Spoiler
?

I would, but the sting from that

Spoiler
hurts. It really hurts man.

Hoopy the hoop and the companion cube both show up in the game, but with very minor roles. Also,

Spoiler

Hello! This is the part where I kill you!

I think Hoopy the Hoop was a bit of a forced meme to be honest. Never latched on to it as much as I did all the other memes from Portal.

What the fuck is Hoopy the Hoop.

And yeah, I'm actually really happy there was that room where GLaDOS bold faced says that the Companion Cubes aren't special and that they have "warehouses full of the things".

[Important Threads] Forum Rules | Welcome to the new Thinking With Portals
Please do not Private Message me for assistance. Post a thread if you have questions or concerns.
If you need to contact the staff privately, contact the Global Moderators via Discord.
msleeper wrote:
What the fuck is Hoopy the Hoop.

And yeah, I'm actually really happy there was that room where GLaDOS bold faced says that the Companion Cubes aren't special and that they have "warehouses full of the things".

Last player-view scene of Portal (

Spoiler
). A flaming hoop falls from the sky at one point and apparently people latched onto it.

I did like the "

Spoiler
" bit.

Page 1 of 2Next