Please or Register to create posts and topics.

[SP] Paint By Numbers

PreviousPage 3 of 3

Jane Doe, you should read feedback more carefully before raging: I had stated the opposite, that "maps which don't give in to lowly playground istincts, also double as proof of concept" for ways to handle white paint. Which breaks puzzles by "splashing it everywhere", just a common consideration not really against anyone.

I, for one, wouldn't have changed the level layout: at most I had criticized the effects of using gel trajectory and speed as the failsafe against the gel breaking potential. Because it was a black box alright, but detailed ("not like a beginner's") and that's after all just the "necessary evil" of this map subgenre. I thought things got cleared when you PMed me. :)

the hills are alive... with the sound of music

so, you give player white gel falling vertically, without any kind of angle, and only one inclinated panel (that provide a clean way to paint only 3 surfaces) and ask the player "find a way to paint quite everywhere to know what to do".

Bad use of the gel. Need to have an initial angle (fun redirection), or it's just "play with random physics until something happen" (not fun, for me.)

I usually demorec the blind ride of every map i try, if you want it send me a private message.
(I'll stop recording if i die.)

JDoe, after you PM with a functional link to your walkthrough - I was able to see the beauty of your map in action. However, I think you should have some testplayers run your map blind to get insights into confustion which might be caused. At the last chamber, I missed the activation of the ball drop and got obsessed with getting the cube down (yeah noclipped to see it up there). I also didn' interpret the numbers correctly (guides to gel flings) so ignored them and painted everything. After your walkthrough, it was a relatively easy go (aren't they all). Thanks for mapping and I hope that you create more for us.....

Big rooms with only white paint and you have to paint the room pixel-by-pixel to proceed. I hate maps like this and won't play them anymore. Sorry

Jane_Doe wrote:
it's meant to show that even an endless supply of Conversion Gel doesn't make a test easy.

That's exactly what this map taught me. Usually an endless amount of conversion gel can let me portal through props, inbetween walls and under the map but it took all my tricks just to solve this one. Great work. I wish I read this thread first though so I would have known what the numbers were supposed to mean. But I solved it without them so I guess they weren't that important.

Potatoes on Guns:
[spoiler]It was barely funny in single player and even less funny when you do it. Knock it off.[/spoiler]

A typical conversion gel slog. Neither the looks nor the puzzles were nearly enough to offset the tedium. Usually, gel + funnel = shortcut heaven, but this one mostly avoided that until the very end. Just barely 3/5, because the puzzles are valid tests, not trivial exercises. Still, remove from playlist.

Expand for my full signature
[spoiler]My YouTube Channel: Please subscribe!
My Steam Workshop Check out my collections for some good maps
Basic Mod for playing .vpk files Needs to be updated for dlc2, but still works[/spoiler]
PreviousPage 3 of 3