Please or Register to create posts and topics.

[SP] Paint By Numbers

Page 1 of 3Next

This is my first ever map, and has rather grown since I had the idea for the first puzzle in it. Please let me know what you think, it's meant to show that even an endless supply of Conversion Gel doesn't make a test easy. The numbers in the map ought to help, along with thinking about flinging Gel

File Name: Paint_By_Numbers_Final.zip
File Size: 1.86 MiB
Click here to download Paint By Numbers

My sole map so far : Workaround (4/5, 1300 d/l)
http://bit.ly/qrOYZw

Helping you help us help you help us all.

Maps based on white paint which don't give in to lowly playground istincts, also double as a proof of concept to tame such gamebreaking mechanic. Lost in Testing did so by singling out unintended solutions, this one tries to by limiting the gel trajectory (straight, slow) but not half as successfully.

Level looks plain but not really like a beginner's: it just doesn't counterweight the necessary evil of these maps having to start off almost completely black tiled, unlike say Paintbox 01. And in these black boxy rooms, you are supposed to cope with the very strict line of fire available for the gel, to put it in the right places (with much patience...): you can understand how unlikeable it becomes. Breaking the intended solution is a given as well, with the lightbridge (and 1 laser emitter at the end) being skippable - making the long preparation time all more useless.

the hills are alive... with the sound of music

I wish I could understand your oblique references, then I might have something to work with...

It's as well to mention possible shortcuts, but if you don't explain them, then I'm none the wiser
Also, why quote other maps at me? I don't know them, so again the reference is unuseable.

Meanwhile, if you have advice rather than criticism (which I assume your post was about, perhaps) then I'm all ears

I would normally just do so, but the version is listed as "final," so I will ask. Would you like me to post a demo of my playthrough?

xdiesp is difficult to understand sometimes, and he can be somewhat tactless. Try not to take his judgements personally.

Well, it's 'Final' just because I wanted to finish it in preparation for a better one, built with some of the experience this one gave me - is there some big shortcut I missed or something? Or is it a steady working through the test?

Frankly, just seeing someone else test it out for me would be nice - and far better than indecipherable jibes

Well, I managed to do the first room without ever using the lightbridge?
(I did that by placing a portal high on the wall, one low on the wall, then walking in, placing a portal near the button, while falling down placing a portal below myself, getting myself able to push the button.

Spoiler
Sorry, only logged-in users can see spoilers.
)

EDIT: I tried to do the map again, and I got myself painting the full floor white, but no way to get up. I think it would be easy if there is a slightly more straightforward method of painting, the way I solved it was just placing random portals everywhere, hoping I would get some paint higher on the wall so I could make some speed. Placing some white surfaces or something similar might work.

In the room with the lasers I had the same problem: no idea how to get the wall white. Eventually I ended up cheating another reflector cube in the game so I could redirect the laser to the wall where the laser came from. That wall was covered with paint. ;)

The laser room had another small problem: the last two stairs treads(?) were too high, so I had to jump onto them, instead of walking smoothly, you might want to change that as well.

Hope that helped ^_^

I daresay it is, though without any explaination it's not a great deal of help - could you DM me with details, maybe?

Jane_Doe wrote:
I wish I could understand your oblique references, then I might have something to work with...

I didn't spell out loud those 2 maps for no reason. :wink: Run a search and read my comment again, because I haven't even remotely shot you down.

As for the rest, these maps are all broken the same: just keep splashing paint until everything is white. Imagine the first room completely white: what's the need for a lightbridge then?

the hills are alive... with the sound of music

Oh my. I just finished up the map, and I'm not sure I accomplished anything the way it was intended. Would you be willing to provide a walkthrough or demo with the correct solutions? If not, it will be difficult to evaluate.

xdiesp: If you don't understand the difference between elegant and laborious, you might as well piss off
bjs0 : I'll create you a walkthrough as I see it, then you can tell me - in a civilised fashion - where I've missed shortcuts

Page 1 of 3Next