Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Retrieving data published on the workshop for further edits.

Just a quick question here...

How do I retrieve the data for one of my puzzle editor published maps onto a new computer and still have access to it in the puzzle editor on the new computer?

Hopefully that makes sense but I will explain my dilemma. I recently had a new computer to replace my old one and there are many vital updates required on my previously published maps so I would like to be able to make the important changes on my new computer.

Really hope this is possible but if not I shall just have to start new.

Thanks,
Bmaster2000

Unfortunately I don't think it's possible to acquire the necessary .P2C file via the Workshop. It is possible to recreate the map based on screenshots, though, and you may like to do that.

ImageImage

srs bsnss is right, if you didn't manually back up the source files and don't have access to your old computer, then you'll have to start over.

The files you edit in the puzzle maker (with extension .P2C) are in this subfolder of your Steam installation:

Code: Select all
steamappscommonportal 2portal2puzzles{some big number}

It's a good idea to grab a copy of that folder every now and then and put it with your other documents and stuff, so you don't loose it.

Sendificate series: Sendificate | A Beam Too Far | Airtime | 302
Other Portal 2 maps: Medusa Glare
Portal 1 maps: Try Anything Twice | Manic Mechanic

Thanks for the reply. That is quite unfortunate really, I may be able to retrieve some data from my old computer however most of it I think will be lost. I expect I will recreate any puzzles that need major overhauls and minor bugs will have to stay. For now though I will start fresh and maybe even go for a brand new collection.

It would be cool if you could sync hammer maps to the cloud.
They do it for save games, so why not hammer/editor saves?

?????????????????????????????TWP Releases | My Workshop
ChickenMobile wrote:
It would be cool if you could sync hammer maps to the cloud.
They do it for save games, so why not hammer/editor saves?

That could be a problem if you by mistake overide maps.