Please or Register to create posts and topics.

[RELEASE] PMK 4

Page 1 of 3Next

Finally finished this maps advanced version and got round to figuring out the challenge targets. Please let us know what you think.

Contest Release (31st April)
Full Version (10th June v1.1)

Screenshots:
ImageImage Image

Enjoy :)

Changes in v1.1:
-All fizzlers work correctly now
-Removed middle elevator
-Adjusted challenge targets to account for the above change
-Added player clip to prevent players jumping through a catcher
-Redesigned the second energy pellet room on advanced (it now has a better solution)
-Can no longer lose the box by getting it on the other side of the exit door in room 3
-Can no longer get trapped between the exit door and the next orange door after room 3

just beat the advanced map. very awesome. only part i didn't like was in the first energy pellet puzzle (after the first elevator (the one right before the "last" puzzle)) i beat it with lots of luck.. i was able to get a basic "plan" down and it "sorta" worked.. i'd like to see a video of YOUR proposed solution to this puzzle, its not so much that i didn't like this puzzle. just doesn't seem to be any kind of "repeatable/easy" solution. like i said i'd like to see your solution.
very awesome, and i look forward to the challenges

do NOT click this

Yeah that room I must admit has a dodgy solution which relies a bit on luck. My solution is basically

Spoiler
Sorry, only logged-in users can see spoilers.
Its a bit messy. My advanced maps will require more planning next time as I went with my first plan on all the rooms.

Shouldn't this technically be in community spotlight? It was borderline criminal that your first map pack didn't get there - this one actually won a contest, if I recall correctly.

Anyway, the map. First, great work fixing the rocket turret. Works perfect now. The only other change I noticed in the normal map was the addition of a sign after the elevator; I would applaud this, except that it announces the wrong chamber. It says you're in chamber 04, when in fact, you should be in chamber 05. I doubt this will be hard to fix.

There's not much else to say, except that I still consider your maps to be some of the best anywhere, including the official maps - they're just that good.

The advanced map is awesome. The one orb puzzle does require a bit of luck- I did it by

Spoiler
. I see you also removed / fixed the
Spoiler
. Overall, the advanced map was just hard enough to get me thinking, but amazingly (for me, at least), never actually frustrated me.

I haven't tried the step or time challenges yet, but I did get a silver for the least portals. I can't wait to see what some of the real Portal ninjas come up with, especially for the last room of the first chamber.

Anyway, great to see an official release. I hope to see PMK 5 soon!

mazk1985 wrote:
Yeah that room I must admit has a dodgy solution which relies a bit on luck. My solution is basically
Spoiler
Its a bit messy. My advanced maps will require more planning next time as I went with my first plan on all the rooms.

thats exactly what i did (basically)

do NOT click this

I think the first ball puzzle is the best part of the (entirely good) advanced map. It felt challenging, while still offering a repeatable, solution, that I could figure out relativly fast. Apparently that wasn't the intended one ^^

Spoiler

As for challenges, usually I dislike maps that put fizzlers between other puzzles, as it removes some possibilites, especially for least portals. But in this case the rooms are just long enough to not feel limiting. So I had some fun crushing the gold number on that ;) My record so far is 11 portals.

11 portals! nice. I would love to see the video to that. My best scores are the gold targets so well done on thrashing it. 11!!! How??

The sign after the middle elevator is meant to say 4 on it cos its still pmk 4. I know this breaks tradition a bit but the sign numbers correspond to the map number. I nearly removed the elevator because of this but I found it gave a nice pause in the action. Especially for the time challenge so I left it.

As for the

Spoiler
I hadn't noticed it so thanks for that. I may leave it in for now or at least until some more bugs are found.

22 portals on my first try :P

awesome map :thumbup:

edit: i beat the advanced version without using the

Spoiler
i just
Spoiler

http://thespaceturkey.wordpress.com/
The following statement is false
The preceding statement is true

Here's a video of 10 portals:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q_RL7ktQuTU
have fun :D

What the fuck has science done.

You people are crazy. :notworthy:

[Important Threads] Forum Rules | Welcome to the new Thinking With Portals
Please do not Private Message me for assistance. Post a thread if you have questions or concerns.
If you need to contact the staff privately, contact the Global Moderators via Discord.
Page 1 of 3Next