Please or Register to create posts and topics.

[Release] Common Prefabs for Portal (CP4P) version 1

PreviousPage 2 of 2

Version 1 released, details in opening post.

Good thing I put the sample level together, found quite a few buglets, including one that crashed HL2. Apparently telling a door to close on it's "OnClose" event is a bad idea, who'da thunk?

Known issues:

- The switch entities are parented to themselves, which doesn't work. (Fixed in not-yet-released v2)

- Fizzlers do not play OnDissolveBox unless the object they disintegrate is actually named "box" or similiar (anyone know the exact semantics? I can't simply rename the template boxes as one is a companion cube and one is a regular box and they need to be differentiated for spawning purposes.) (Not Fixed Yet)

Things that will probably be in next release:

* Basic Fizzler (128hx128w or so)
* Dynamic version of same that can be toggled on/off

Hammer noob here. I got the prefab installed, managed to get a door in my room, but now for the life of me I can't figure out what I need to let it open when the player gets near. So I inserted one of your buttons, but couldn't get it to let me edit it's output (so it would open the door if pushed).

Could you give me pointers on how to do this? Thanks.

Did you read the documentation? Every prefab in CP4P has a fairly comprehensive list of what needs to be done to tie it into the level.

And if you're new to hammer, I suggest reading a few tutorials first -- http://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki ... vel_Design is a good place to start. Of particular interest would be:

http://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Your_First_Map
http://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki ... nd_Outputs
http://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki ... l_Creation

*Most* doors are activated by a button, switch, or something. Of course, if you really want a proximity-activated door you can do so with a trigger_multiple's OnStartTouchAll/OnEndTouchAll events.

Sure will be a great source to both gain time and do reverse engineering to comprehend hammer more.
Thanks, it is great stuff and unlike lots of prefabs, the documentation really is excellent and help niewbies like me a lot :)

Thanks to Portal, someone's birthday is now the most feared day in the year...
NO! THE CAKE! NOOOOOOOO !

The wide doors' func_door brush entities have "helpers" which are way, way, WAY far away from said entities, which is a great way to cause leaks that are untraceable unless you really know what you're doing.

I definitely needed this prefab set! it has been exceedingly helpful to me get started mapping portal and understanding how hammer works more (haven't mapped in a while, forgot everything...)

Your regular round door has the prop_dynamic entity dealing with some input/output things that are irrelevant, i suggest you remove them as they didn't appear to do anything for me.

I would also like to see one of those rectangular doors that is usually attached to a timer button thing...

I just started orange mapping out my first portal map, and your prefabs have sped up things infinitely, I'll credit you when its finished and hopefully i can release.

-JLipimpski

Toxic goo is easy, its a texture water on top face, water LOD control and a particle system. I'm not at my mapping computer right now, so i can't tell you the name of the particle system but its info_Particle_system.

Unstationary Scaffolds: Are fun. Its a func_Physbox followed by 1-2 phys_ballsocket to control it. Use keyframe_ropes to make it look like the ropes are holding it up and add railing ext...

Mmmm Prefabs... I'll take a look at em later, but this is what i wanted to do so long ago. Thanks muchly :)

Well I was building my own prefabs but I might as well use yours for the ones I don't have yet :D

Do you want us to give you credit somewhere for released maps?

I do my science from scratch.

GREAT PREFAB PACK!The programmer in me is happy about the documentation. It's making it much easier to what I originally set out to do: make a portal map without re-inventing dozens of wheels.

BUT here's a bug:
The ball catchers will also accept a box (and I did include the dependencies prefab). Any ideas?

Edit: ah hah :oops: . No bug. Figured it out. Put CP4P_filterballs in the ball catcher's "filter" field. Maybe that should be more explicit in the documentation for next version for noobs like me :wink:

PreviousPage 2 of 2