Please or Register to create posts and topics.

[RELEASE] Cassata Chamber 2

Page 1 of 3Next

After about half a year of on and off work (I'm not bragging, I've just stopped working on this map for long periods of time) I finally finished it. Forcefully actually, compiling took too long so I just brought it to an end. I'll try to make more maps more often if my feedback for this map is good.

Anyway, so this map is my attempt to make something as authentic and as possible, while trying to provide thought provoking puzzles that are loyal to the original feel of the game before the BTS's kicked in. I think one of the things you will defiantly notice about this map is that it's dynamic in how you move around and solve puzzles. The goal is always apparent, but the steps in getting to them often overlap each other and cause for a lot of revisiting of different area's. This makes things more interesting rather then saying "Good job, move to the next empty room that you've never seen before." It allows people to keep tabs on their environment, much less... gaze at my hard work. Haha.

Questions, Comments, what did you like? What did you hate?
I'd love to hear what you have to say!

Directions:
1. Unzip BMZ file.
2. Run Portal
3. Click "Bonus Maps" on the titlescreen.
4. Click "Import"
5. Locate the BMZ file.
6. Play the map.

[img]http://forums.thinking.withportals.com/pafiledb/images/screenshots/casscmbr20009.jpg[/img]

Download Here.

I like my girls like I like my cars, I like them fast, I like them automatic, and I know I'm in trouble if I reach down and feel a stick.

This was far better than first one. every room is linked to other very clever way. I know how hard it is to make medium long, but not too confusing map. I have nothing else bad think to say about this than there was one or more miss-aligned textures in one place.

But anyway, I give 9.5/10, 10/10 in twp rate-system

Generally good, but lighting was pretty bad in some areas (hard to see?), some textures were badly aligned, and portal bumpers were missing in some places.
With that out of the way, the test chambers themselves were pretty well made and fun, although the first fling took me a while to work out where I was supposed to be going.

I encountered some invisible walls, and one part of the chamber where you just encounter a dark corridor where you cant get out. Maybe I did something wrong? :shock:

Probably i solved the chamber in a unfair way, i see some unused puzzles:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vLfmVgEAYtc

I usually demorec the blind ride of every map i try, if you want it send me a private message.
(I'll stop recording if i die.)

Haha, yeah... you skipped half the map, even after I thought I fixed that. Great speed run though, I'll be sure to fix that up along with some lighting adjustments before I start working on a new map.

I like my girls like I like my cars, I like them fast, I like them automatic, and I know I'm in trouble if I reach down and feel a stick.

Definitely the invisible walls are annoying. Particularly above the round-the-corner button protected by the backstop-like shield...of course, my first instinct was to go over the top, and I could easily climb up using cubes, , but there was an invisible wall there. If you don't want people to climb, put a visible wall! Similarly, in the room just previous to that (up top of the two buttons), I thought the obvious thing was to climb over the jumbled cubes...but an invisible wall prevented me from doing so. Pile them higher so it's clear there's no way to squeeze through! I agree that a few places were too dim as well.

I'm not done with the map yet -- stuck! -- but this is a quality piece of work, very enjoyable (so far!). Nicely done.

Finished now...great map! Highly recommended. I really liked the way you used space, so that I was always revisiting familiar places from new angles. Very swiss-cheesy. Can't wait to see more from you!

@Omnivore: Point of order:

The Forum Rules wrote:
When posting something that might be a spoiler, the One True Way is to enclose it in

Code: Select all
[spoiler][/spoiler]

I just added that to the rules, so there's no excuse for not knowing any more.

"Games are made out of smaller games ? turtles all the way down, until you hit the game that is so trivial and stupid it isn?t deserving of the name." --Raph Koster

Has anyone found the cake easteregg yet? :D
Even if you noclip, I'd just like to know someone found it.

Page 1 of 3Next