Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Quick question - Properly adding Portal content to Portal 2

PreviousPage 2 of 2

Hey, does someone know if my portal 2 mount contents will portal 2 autoring tools do that too? Or I need to edit the gameinfo on portal 2 autoring tools too?

(if there is a gameinfo for autoring tools where is it?)

SecretComing wrote:
Hey, does someone know if my portal 2 mount contents will portal 2 autoring tools do that too? Or I need to edit the gameinfo on portal 2 autoring tools too?

(if there is a gameinfo for autoring tools where is it?)

For the tools, the only thing you need to do is go into Hammer's configuration (Tools ==> Options) and add the file "portal.fgd" to the "Game Data Files" list. That should give you all entity types for Portal. Textures, sounds, models etcetera should just work if you have included Portal 1 in Portal 2's gameinfo.txt

The portal.fgd file is in "$your_steam_foldersteamappscommonPortalbin". Maybe you need "base.fgd" and "halflife2.fgd" too, I'm not sure.

(Note: it's been a while since I worked with these types of files, so anyone please correct me if I'm saying something dumb.)

TeamSpen210 wrote:
Portal 2's energy pellet code is fully functional, it's just missing the materials, models and sounds.

Oh yeah right. I totally forgot that it was this way.

Sendificate series: Sendificate | A Beam Too Far | Airtime | 302
Other Portal 2 maps: Medusa Glare
Portal 1 maps: Try Anything Twice | Manic Mechanic

HMW I just did that thing (of using the fgd's), but I don't know if it worked. When I open hammer, it only shows this on the messages tab:

http://prntscr.com/7rzebf

I mean, wasn't it supposed to show portal and hl2? Or is it normal? (When my portal 2 was reading aperture tag content it showed the aperture tag search paths).

I think that's the just the information from you gameinfo.txt. I see the original Portal in there, so that should be OK.

The FGD files are just to make Hammer recognise the Portal entity types. Try to place a Portal-specific entity in the map. (Energy pellet / emitter, for example.)

Sendificate series: Sendificate | A Beam Too Far | Airtime | 302
Other Portal 2 maps: Medusa Glare
Portal 1 maps: Try Anything Twice | Manic Mechanic

Well I got a problem...

So I was having some crashes (hammer auto closes) while trying to use light bridges (wall projectors) and tractor beams (air funnels). I deleted base.fgd; portal.fgd and hl2.fgd from the hammer options, and it worked.

So I think one of them is causing the crashes, or all of them.

but what that base.fgd is for anyway?

SecretComing wrote:
but what that base.fgd is for anyway?

Base entities not specific to any one game. Func_brush, trigger_multiple, prop_dynamic, stuff like that.

Falsi sumus crusto!
PreviousPage 2 of 2