Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Puzzle Creator Tech Info, Hacks, and Laughs

PreviousPage 2 of 11Next

I have several tutorials that I will post later today. (Hopefully)

So, if I understand right, we can create the logical part in a easy way in the PeTI, and later modify their aspect with hammer?
If yes.... can somebody give me a link to use Hammer in Portal 2? =D

Gugorrak wrote:
So, if I understand right, we can create the logical part in a easy way in the PeTI, and later modify their aspect with hammer?

https://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Level_Design_Introduction_(Portal_2)/Getting_Started

lpfreaky90 wrote:
Gugorrak wrote:

https://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Level_Design_Introduction_(Portal_2)/Getting_Started

Thank you very much Brony partner =D

lpfreaky90 wrote:
awesome Robdon! How did you find them, more importantly can you change them?
I'd love to add -low to all of them ;)

Hi,

I just use a process tracer to see whats going on.

Its 'Process Monitor' from here: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-gb/sysinternals

I just make a filter to only include vrad.exe etc process, and run a build, and then just right click a line and click 'properties'. It shows the command line used to start the process.

My Portal2 Map: Trapped

My Travel Blog:
Robdon wrote:
Process Monitor

Another Sysinternals user!

:hi5:

Looks like it's not that hard to change the puzzle maker to include custom testing elements!
Check out this file:
steamappscommonportal 2portal2_dlc2scriptseditoritems.txt

It's a keyvalues-formatted file that defines the behaviour of all of the stuff you can add in the editor. Model name, positioning rules, location on the parts list, names of instances to insert into the VMF, it's all there.

The only thing you can't do (as far as I can tell) is add more rows or columns to the parts list. But that's no huge deal, as you can free up 10 slots by removing redundant entries for the different buttons, cubes, fizzlers and gels. (And some things wouldn't even need their own slot. LP's death-fizzler, for example, could just be an extra option on the normal fizzler.)

I've only just started messing with this file so I don't fully understand it yet, but it looks very promising!

Sendificate series: Sendificate | A Beam Too Far | Airtime | 302
Other Portal 2 maps: Medusa Glare
Portal 1 maps: Try Anything Twice | Manic Mechanic

I've never used Hammer before and I have no idea how to use it, but after reading this...

It'd be possible to make maps using the editor, then open them up in Hammer to add extra things?

I mostly want to add checkpoints to some maps and I'd also like to choose which music plays. How hard would that be?

HMW wrote:
Looks like it's not that hard to change the puzzle maker to include custom testing elements!
Check out this file:
steamappscommonportal 2portal2_dlc2scriptseditoritems.txt

It's a keyvalues-formatted file that defines the behaviour of all of the stuff you can add in the editor. Model name, positioning rules, location on the parts list, names of instances to insert into the VMF, it's all there.

The only thing you can't do (as far as I can tell) is add more rows or columns to the parts list. But that's no huge deal, as you can free up 10 slots by removing redundant entries for the different buttons, cubes, fizzlers and gels. (And some things wouldn't even need their own slot. LP's death-fizzler, for example, could just be an extra option on the normal fizzler.)

I've only just started messing with this file so I don't fully understand it yet, but it looks very promising!

Yes, but all the elements are hard coded into the client's base, so I don't know how you'll be able to edit the panel without some form of adjustment to the code.

Hang on a second folks... the maps are still built in VBSP, VVIS and VRAD, right? Well how does it compile them on Mac systems...? Have they ported the compilers or just been lazy and used some kind of WINE wrapper?

PreviousPage 2 of 11Next