Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Portal style Lighting

Has anyone got the hang of imitating the official lighting conventions? I just cant get to grips with it.
This is where decomplied maps would come in really handy, but alas, I couldnt use them even if i wanted to, my PC throws a wobbley with the Java thing.
Any help? perhaps someone could send me a decomiled map?

decompiled map of what?

If you don't already know, make a texture with "white/light01"
That projects good light if it's big enough.

Getting the lighting right has been a bit of a headache.

Rooms that are predominately non-portable metal tend to have holes in the wall with a white light emitting texture at the back, this works quite well.

However rooms that are mostly concrete tend to be lit by the gap at the edge of the floor and from observation rooms, and from my experience these are not enough, so you may need some point lighting as well.

When applying point lighting, I find a light blue works in concrete areas, and a red/orange in metal.

I would first add visible textured light sources to an area, check it out then add point sources if you need more light.

Nb: if your textures are not emitting light properly, check you have the right lights.rad file, see the big thread on setting up hammer for more info.

Only a spider trusts the web

Commentary assumes they use the frosted glass rooms as a good light source.

Life is like a pipe, it's hard to get through and you're not always guaranteed a happy ending.

How do you use light emitting textures?

I've just been sticking a light entity next to it.

I what's the best texture to use, i've been using the white skybox, look great with white light, but sometimes looks green when I use an orange light.

EDIT: I just saw Mapster's post, i'll try that out.