Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Portal/Half-life 2 Clip

Page 1 of 6Next

Ok i have an idea for a movie which will basically be the portal turrets killing masses and masses of zombies which will come through doors and will just keep and keep on coming until they get to the end.

I'm trying to make a really well made room but i just can't get the hang on create a quite detailed map.

Anyone else wanna give some ideas on anything to add to the tension/excitement to the movie/map?

sounds like what my brother used to do in gary's mod

[insert visually obtrusive graphic or witty comment here]

Heh, i'll be trying to make a really detailed map which swarms of zombies murg through a little room.

what about a multi level balcony type setup looking down around a single double door, surrounded by large windows to outside where the swarm is.

whats going to make it interesting is camera angles and cutting. With proper editing you can make almost anything entertaining.

[insert visually obtrusive graphic or witty comment here]

I'm going to attempt to have lots of camera angles when i learn how to use noclip and no get attacked by the zombies or turrets... or just any way to really scroll through the map.

useful commands 4 u:

record filename (records a demo)
stop (ends a demo)
playdemo filename (obvious)
stopdemo (again obvious)
startmovie filename fpsrate (useful for raw capturing)
endmovie (ends raw capturing)
r_drawviewmodel 0 (turns off your gun)
crosshair 0 (obvious)
noclip (obvious)
dem_playspeed multiplier (not sure if this is the right command)
dem_pause 1 (pauses a demo, again not sure, havent used in a while)
god (godmode)

I also recommend playing in 640x480 or 800x600 and turn down the setting a bit longer than you usually use when recording demos AND capturing.

Low lighting, but not so low you can't see what's going on. You need wires coming from the roof sparking. Also, have some tiles pulled out the ground and dirt in their places.

Life is like a pipe, it's hard to get through and you're not always guaranteed a happy ending.

Can't you also set up cameras in the level and animate/switch them? I'm thinking of the fly-through cake scene at the end of portal and how they do the live tv screens in half life 2, so it must be possible somehow.

Companion Cube Chronicles WIP:
Story: 22.22222% Design: 33.33333%
Levels: 4.44444% Cake: 0.00000%
Voices: 0.0^3% in base 4
New models & Textures: ((e^28/pi*7)/0 - 42)%
Grief counseling: 111.11111%

half life 2 - make it a wooded hut type building, just like the one the

Spoiler
Sorry, only logged-in users can see spoilers.
is in. broken walls, floors, roofs, wooden planks all over the place, barrels, tools...

portal - make it look like a lobby for apertue science and have the car park (as in the ending or portal) visible through doos once they break in. keep it a clean environemt, waiting chairs, make custom textures that are cleaner than the portal ones, but use the official ones as a refference.

do what wroth says, set up 5+ cameras that do looping fly throughs and swap between them periodically, run the map several times whilst recording and edit the best shots together later.

have at least 2 cameras outside looking at the zombies.

hmm, i never thought to have it outside, i might have it looking outside and them smashing threw the barracade then threw the doors :D

SEE!

This is why i love forums so much... people in them ALWAYS have much better ideas than I.

I'll give credits to All the individuals once i finish the map.

I completed 1 little ramp and am working on some observation rooms and ceiling details.

Thanks to all that contribute.

This is officially a ThinkingWithPortals Movie now. :wink:

Page 1 of 6Next