Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Portal 2 sounds in PTI workshop maps

Hi all,

I've noticed that on many workshop maps cave johnson soundfiles come up in English, even if I have a german Portal 2. Now my idea was to remove any of the english soundfiles from the original pak01_01 dir/ replacing these with German files. I've tried to create a vpk (drag and drop but also via commandline) out of a 1:1 copy of the portal2 folder except the english files. but no matter what I do, even if I try to pack only a few files, vpk.exe is crashing.

What did I do wrong? Any ideas?

Did you specify that you wanted it to be a multi-part VPK?

Falsi sumus crusto!

Yes, tried that too. Same behaviour. Crashes already on reading the material subfolder (according to process explorer/ disk access)

There's always a vpk assert mdmp file created, maybe somebody knows how to get some debug info out of this.

I have the feeling that these sounds are somehow embedded in the bsp workshop files? I've moved all original vpk files from portal2/portal2 and copied the german pak01_dir.vpk and pak01_000.vpk into the folder. Then I've extracted all folders except the english sound folder/ files to the portal2/portal2 dir. I've even rebuild the soundcache and now, without any access to an english file or vpk it still plays the English cave :)

They aren't embedded in the BSPs. Those sounds are in DLC2, you only hid the files from the base Portal 2 game.

Falsi sumus crusto!

Yeah, you're right. But I know whats the problem. Some soundfiles are not localised, the ones in dlc2 folder. I wasn't able to remove these so far as I did with the main folder as some texture items were missing when browsing the workshop file list. Doesn't look nice, only thing I could force is to stop the file from beeing played at all. So I've copied the vpks back for now. If I'd new in which vpk the sound files would be I could delete these without compromising the menue textures. Funny that it did't care for the files which I had extracted before and copied to the disc.

wohoooo! packing the dlc2 folder with vpk.exe worked well! I've renamed the cave folder and now it's fine and doesn't interfer! Thanks for the help FelixGriffin

No problem. Are you looking to localize those sound files as well, or is removing them the end goal?

Falsi sumus crusto!

I think there's no german translation or any other language. And I wouldn't want to dub Cave myself ;)
So I removed them. Wasn't quite a good job which Valve did here as these sounds often overlap with the sounds the map creator has placed.

I also find the German sounds (especially the turrets) much cuter than the original. Cave Johnson's German voice is known from German voice overs and has probably a bigger voiceover baclkground than the orginal Cave :)