Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Portal 2 Music Video Contest Winners

PreviousPage 2 of 3Next
Rubrica wrote:
Plus, the people who whine are usually the ones who finish the DLC straight away, not savouring it, and then whine for months on end about how the game has 'no replayability', and they usually can't even be bothered to try playing custom maps.

Custom content is what keeps games going! Not to mention that Portal is a coop/single player game, not one that has endless amounts of online multi-player gameplay. If people solely relied on Valve to release stock DLC then it wouldn't last very long tbh.

Also I thought the sock puppet video was quite clever. Reading when they first posted the announcement for the competition they said that you could make the video with anything you like, 'even with sock puppets'. Who would have known that was the winner eh ;)

?????????????????????????????TWP Releases | My Workshop

Honestly, I get the gist of why people say the sock puppet video won. It's independent of Portal. Regardless, I still think that, though the sock puppet video is good (GREAT quality, out of the box, near perfect "lip" sync, if not perfect...) The other two were a little better, the second place one more so. The quality of the animation is amazing. To get that sort of quality the author must have put so much more time into it than probably anyone else. The particular talent of making animations is in and of itself extremely difficult.
I'm surprised none of the winners did anything about combustible lemons, though (I haven't bothered to check the honorable mentions yet, those might have a reference). Perhaps they didn't pick a video to win that did for the Portal reference, but lemons would've been a more esoteric reference, and normal people wouldn't associate something about lemons with Portal if they had no idea. They'd probably think it's just clever. And Portal players wouldn't feel like they were being tossed in favor of some other audience. I feel like it would sort of keep everything together and grow more attention.
Heck, the theme of life giving you lemons even fits with this song.

Wow, that winner video socks compared to the other ones.

My personal favorite was that one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L5qHApLS ... r_embedded

Metafrank wrote:
Wow, that winner video socks compared to the other ones.

Was that intentional? :)

ImageImageImageImage

what do you think? :P

AntiVector wrote:
On the other hand, criticizing anyone's work, however light-hearted, is not acceptable.

Earth to AntiVector, Earth to AntiVector.
We've lost him.

the hills are alive... with the sound of music

"criticizing" was indeed the wrong word. "mindlessly chastising" is closer, but I was running out of characters on Youtube. No need for such antagonistic sarcasm.

Seeing the Logic?

Did you know that American English isn't even my first language? It's actually [spoiler]British English[/spoiler]
Released maps of note:
[spoiler]Versatile Diversity
L-Circuts[/spoiler]

I think the people who judged the video contest entries may not have a good idea on the composition of videos. The third place video should've been the winner. Great sense of composition and camera positions, and camera shots.

Some of my Portal 2 maps || Mini-Faith || Careful Cube || Vertical Reach ||

|| Need help uploading a map...new user? Read my Map Uploading Guide ||
|| Want to play custom maps, but don't know how? Read my Playing Portal 2 Custom Maps Guide ||

I also think that the 3rd one is the best. They are all very well made, but the atmosphere in the third-place video really matches the song well (even better than the sock puppet video) and the acting and camera work is indeed very good. Plus, they have just the right amount of Portal-themed things in it, so people who don't know Portal will not have the feeling that they are missing the context. Only the ending spoils it a bit IMO.

Sendificate series: Sendificate | A Beam Too Far | Airtime | 302
Other Portal 2 maps: Medusa Glare
Portal 1 maps: Try Anything Twice | Manic Mechanic
HMW wrote:
They are all very well made, but the atmosphere in the third-place video really matches the song well

That I totally agree with. When creating a music video, you have to have to be able to create a connection to the audience in the way that it makes them feel the true meaning of the song. This means that it's not just a 'video' and a 'song' played with each other, it's a 'music video' in the sense that these things are combined to be able to take the meaning of the video, and the meaning of the song...and create one new meaning.

Some of my Portal 2 maps || Mini-Faith || Careful Cube || Vertical Reach ||

|| Need help uploading a map...new user? Read my Map Uploading Guide ||
|| Want to play custom maps, but don't know how? Read my Playing Portal 2 Custom Maps Guide ||
PreviousPage 2 of 3Next