Please or Register to create posts and topics.

PeTI crashes Portal 2

Page 1 of 2Next

I have lost the ability to use PeTI, aka the puzzle editor. I didn't do anything unusual other than put "(" and ")" in the name of a puzzle. That shouldn't be a problem any more than putting a space in the name, right?

Regardless, now every time I try to even play a community map, Portal 2 locks up at the menu screen. I can still load maps the regular way I think. Can anyone tell me what I can do to fix this problem? I have tried verifying the cache three times. I even tried reinstalling Portal 2. I still can't get the freakin' thing to @#$%ing work. Somebody please help!

Wow! That was...uh, yeah. Just, yeah.

That shouldn't be a problem, I have a (published) map with " " in the title too. Have you tried emptying the puzzle folder and start the editor again?

Your puzzle folder is here (if Windows): C:Program Files (x86)SteamSteamAppscommonportal 2portal2puzzles
The puzzle files are saved with a number in the title, it doesn't matter how you name your map, the file name is only said number. If you somehow managed to put " in the actual file name that would be problematic because Windows can't handle characters like " / : in file names. If that happens somehow, my advice would be to boot the computer from a Linux CD and rename the file.

verify game cache!

He said he did that. Try verifying P2AT cache. Not sure if it has anything to do with it though.

You can also try to delete your portal 2/portal2/maps/workshop folder in it's entirely. And/or unsubscribe maps from the workshop.

I deleted the "puzzle" folder and it let me play community maps. However, now the bloody thing crashes at the voting screen. It is extremely irritating. I'm not even sure I can use the in-game editor. I don't mind using HAMMER, but it would be nice if Portal 2 worked as it is supposed to.

after you delete the folder; verify the game cache again

I did verify the cache. still can't handle the vote screen for some reason.

EDIT: Yup. I have confirmed that the puzzle editor in-game does not work. :notwant: :thumbdown:

So no one has a solution? Come on. Surely someone has an idea.

I realise that this thread is a year old but since no one has given a real solution for this issue here I think it worth to bump it so that people know what's wrong if they have the same problem.

I had that damn problem for quite a while and eventualy found the solution on the web.

Quote:
I believe the problem to be the portal executable wanting to run using a single thread but the system trying to run it in multiple threads which Windows will do by default on a multi-proc or multi-threaded system.
This causes a conflict when the rendering starts [entering the chambers, etc] and thus the program crashes.

The first solution above, bypasses this issue by running the program in a borderless window, which I am guessing, due to some limitation in Windows, cannot use more than one thread so the portal executable works fine as it can only use one thread and wants only one so no issues.

The second solution linked above forces the system to only give the portal executable one CPU to work with, thus the the portal executable works fine since it wants only one so no issue.

I believe the real solution to this issue is to enable the following option in Portal 2:

Options
Video
Advanced Options
Multicore Rendering

I believe almost everyone has this option already enabled which is why we havent had thousands of people reporting this issue.

That's all. Now it works like a charm.

God bless the quick save's inventor...(Portal: Prelude)
Page 1 of 2Next