Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Opinions Of The New Level Maker

Page 1 of 5Next

Some of you have already left what you feel in some other posts about the PeTI... but here, post your honest opinion...
Like/Dislike?
Why do you like? Why do you dislike?
What do you like? What do you dislike?
What needs to be fixed?
Anything about the editor that annoys you?
How do you feel about other's maps?
Will you continue to use Hammer, PeTI, or both?
I'm interested to know your opinions :D

My Hammer Maps
[Released] Power Interference
[Released] Rust and Dust (Spotlight Map!)
[Released] Multiportal

Like:
I like the fact that it's fast and has automatic indicator lights.

Don't Like:
I don't like the 128x128x128 limitation. But I understand the reason so I can live with it.

What needs to be fixed:
AUTOSAVES! (oh and autosaves!)

Anything else that annoys me:
The fact that there are 26k maps and that there are a lot of crap maps.

I've seen amazing maps and I've seen horrible maps and all between. Too bad my favorite custom map disappeared after playing it :(

I will continue using both. Hammer is much better for more detailed stuff, and I wouldn't be able to make Portal Stories in the easy map maker.
The easy map maker is wonderful for just creating a nice little puzzle.

Don't forget you can edit maps made in the level editor by using Hammer (although there are a few kinks being ironed out).

Crazy is as crazy does.
My Work
[spoiler]Maps:
Revenge of the Angry Turrets
Capture the Cube [Co-op]
Capture the Cube 2 [Co-op]
TPWEGTH Sample Map
Aperture Aquatic Testing Center
Aperture Aquatic Testing Center 2
Aperture Time Testing Center
ML's Halloween Trick - 1000 downloads!
ML's Halloween Treat
ML's Combination - 1000 downloads!
ML's Jailbreak Labyrinth
ML's Tricky Teamwork [Co-op]
WIP:
"Capture the Cube 3"
Workshop Maps Link: http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198008890579/myworkshopfiles/[/spoiler]

Like:
makes a lot of setup a great deal easier, such as the faith plates, moving platforms, and the wall panels (sort of).
Dislike:
can't make thinner walls and an apparent Item limit. I've no idea what it is, but I hit it.
What needs to be fixed:
The ability to go from the editor to hammer and back again. That was what I was looking forward to, and right now its only a one way street. I guess they got half of it.
Annoyance:
It feels restrictive in both the wall size and the props you can use. Not to mention how crazy the indicator lights can get. I put out one map, and the darned things look like weeds, running a muck over every surface they can.
I haven't delved into the workshop archives yet, so I cant say if its good or bad.
Definitely going to keep using both editors, though Hammer will probably get more love.

Overall, the easy editor is good for setting up a rough idea of what you want, but Hammer is still going to be the major work horse for the mapping community.

There is no good or evil in the world. Thinking makes it so.

Yes, antlines algorithm is an issue in the puzzle maker, there were many issues and I think Valve will find a way to make it more organized.

UsCobra11 wrote:
Some of you have already left what you feel in some other posts about the PeTI... but here, post your honest opinion...
Like/Dislike?
Why do you like? Why do you dislike?
What do you like? What do you dislike?
What needs to be fixed?
I'm interested to know your opinions :D

My thoughts so far:

- Super fast building of chambers and easy to make quick adjustments.
- Lots of time saved on setting up simple logic pairings.
- Does the entrances and exits for you too (hated lining those up in Hammer).
- Those big chunky blocks are really nice to work with in Hammer when fine-tuning the visuals.

Dislikes:
- Logic options are too limited - e.g. a single button can switch on a funnel or change its polarity, but not both (which I wanted to do in my current map).
- Indicator lights are messy as hell.
- No doors.
- Way too restrictive in where you can put stuff in relation to other elements (e.g. you can't put glass in the middle of a block, you can't put a laser on the side of a block that has a faithplate on top etc.)
- block size is too restrictive for many puzzle ideas.
- No doors.
- No placement helpers.
- I don't really understand how a lot of the new instances work (more a problem with me than the editor, really).

I think from now on I'll almost always be using a combination of the two, even if the only thing I do in the game editor is make the entrance, exit and walls - for those alone it saves a great deal of time, and I like working with those blocks a lot more than the crazy mess of chopped up brushes I always end up with in Hammer.

---------------------------
My maps: Double Bill / Jam / Oval Window / Gymnasium / Gymnasium Part 2 / Minimalism (collection) / Resolution
All feedback welcome!
---------------------------

Like.

Simple and easy to use and quick placement of just about all the main toolset.

Dislikes:
Item Limit.
Size of map.
No real doors, yes you can use panels to make a door like divider but I would love to have REAL DOORS!
Indicator lights really need fixed or an option to not have them show. (Per button option.)
Portal Placement Helper would be nice.
Number of items linked to one object eg. Button that opens up a large hidden portable area

Overall I like the editor but will still port maps into Hammer to clean them up. Or add something that is not in the toolset.

I came,
I saw,
I ran away as fast I could.
My Steam Page

Like:
Easy to use
Fast to develop und test concepts
Easy "wiring"
New Paint-Droppers

Dislike:
Messy Wiring
no XoR-Logicbuttons :(
no Triggers
no Placementhelpers
no way to adjust the strength of a funnel.
to Restrictive Placing in some cases
- no Laser Emitter next to Grating/Glassing
- no Geldroppers above Toxic Slime
- no Ligthpanels be placable at the sidewalls of an "elevator platform-shaft"

What needs to be fixed?
My Dislikes :>

Needs a Free Camera Mode where you can just fly around like than you hit z in hammer.
It's annoying as fuck to build small corridors or hallways that way.

Played several of them allready.
80% are like (cute you made a map)
The most popular button sucks becouse the results are spammed with twp-maps I've allready played XD

Definitly both.

My Portal 2 Maps:
1 , 2 , 3
lpfreaky90 wrote:
Like:
Anything else that annoys me:
The fact that there are 26k maps and that there are a lot of crap maps.

To be fair, we all knew that was going to happen...
Hopefully the rating system does a good enough job at sorting good NEW puzzles, not just the highest rated ones =

I agree with most of you. I thought auto indicator lights would be a good idea but... they don't really work out when you have a lot of test elements! All in all, I think PeTI is for showcasing a test- and only a test- how the map looks isn't important. Hammer is for the test and the map.

Yeah, there are going to be a lot of bad maps. That's why I love only Hammer maps can be uploaded here to the actual Downloads, while the peti maps are uploaded to a thread. (I think they're changing this, but oh well) In my opinion: It's good, quick, easy, and fun to use, but if your map is going to be good, it will need some work in Hammer.

My Hammer Maps
[Released] Power Interference
[Released] Rust and Dust (Spotlight Map!)
[Released] Multiportal
Page 1 of 5Next