Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Next mapping competition?

Page 1 of 2Next

Hey, me and i friend of mine are right now working on a project. We are making a portal 2 map. We have gone from not even knowing what hammer was, to making a map with several chambers now and we are quite interested in take part in a contest. I've noticed that thinkingwithportals has had a few of them, are they having another one and in that case, when?

Contests depend on a few things, but at the moment the TWP staff doesn't have anything planned for the near future.

Now with 100% more inline comments!
WinstonSmith wrote:
Contests depend on a few things, but at the moment the TWP staff doesn't have anything planned for the near future.

Your site is WEAK I tell you!... If I was in charge I would be lazy and do the exact same thing.

?????????????????????????????TWP Releases | My Workshop

Saying, if we do start a competition, would we have more than two weeks to work with?

First guy tells the second guy, "My head hurts!" The second guy replied, "Stop thinking so much!" Then the first guy says, "I think that what caused my problem in the first place!" The second guy says, "Then stop banging you head against the wall!"

ImageImageVDC User Page
kwp21 pitts wrote:
Saying, if we do start a competition, would we have more than two weeks to work with?

All depends on the format of the competition, the suggested timeline, any possible partners we'd be working with, etc...

Long story short is nothing's really set until a contest is in fact decided on and announced.

Now with 100% more inline comments!

A prize could just be a Community Spotlight and other good maps could be a Community Round-up. The prize doesn't necessarily have to be a material good. I would suggest doing Contests during school vacation breaks (i.e. Summer, <Holiday Name Here>, Spring Break, etc.) that way people have more time to work on their maps. I'm just throwing ideas out there.

Edit: For some reason <Holiday Name Here> turned into <Holiday Name Here>.
2nd Edit: Dang it, it did it again! <Holiday Name Here>
3rd Edit: Okay, the code that puts <Holiday Name Here> instead of <Holiday Name Here> isn't case sensitive. I'll try spaces this time: C H R I S T M A S
Final Edit: Hooray!

Crazy is as crazy does.
My Work
[spoiler]Maps:
Revenge of the Angry Turrets
Capture the Cube [Co-op]
Capture the Cube 2 [Co-op]
TPWEGTH Sample Map
Aperture Aquatic Testing Center
Aperture Aquatic Testing Center 2
Aperture Time Testing Center
ML's Halloween Trick - 1000 downloads!
ML's Halloween Treat
ML's Combination - 1000 downloads!
ML's Jailbreak Labyrinth
ML's Tricky Teamwork [Co-op]
WIP:
"Capture the Cube 3"
Workshop Maps Link: http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198008890579/myworkshopfiles/[/spoiler]

Not everyone gets month long holidays Lagger, I don't get any at all :'(

I think a competition would be brilliant however you must have some kind of theme to make sure that people have not been massively working on a project and waiting for a competition to come round so they can just plonk it down and win the competition.

I remember that FPS banana is holding a mapping competition that makes people make a spaceship themed map. (I already made one jokes)

EDIT: Actually I have http://www.gamebanana.com/maps/139440

?????????????????????????????TWP Releases | My Workshop
MasterLagger wrote:
A prize could just be a Community Spotlight and other good maps could be a Community Round-up.

We are already praising the best few maps in spotlights and roundups every few weeks. How could you set that up as prize?

Release a good map and you may be within the next roundup or even in the spotlight, you don't need a contest for that ;)

Djinndrache wrote:
MasterLagger wrote:
A prize could just be a Community Spotlight and other good maps could be a Community Round-up.

We are already praising the best few maps in spotlights and roundups every few weeks. How could you set that up as prize?

Release a good map and you may be within the next roundup or even in the spotlight, you don't need a contest for that ;)

Yeah, I guess that makes sense. Although, I personally think a Community Spotlight is better than winning a T-shirt or other stuff but that's just me.

I got an idea for a theme: Recreate a classic video game level from the N64 and PlayStation era (007, Silent Hill, Perfect Dark, etc) using Portal 2 Authoring Tools without using custom content. That would bring back some pleasant memories, as long as the maps aren't poorly made.

Crazy is as crazy does.
My Work
[spoiler]Maps:
Revenge of the Angry Turrets
Capture the Cube [Co-op]
Capture the Cube 2 [Co-op]
TPWEGTH Sample Map
Aperture Aquatic Testing Center
Aperture Aquatic Testing Center 2
Aperture Time Testing Center
ML's Halloween Trick - 1000 downloads!
ML's Halloween Treat
ML's Combination - 1000 downloads!
ML's Jailbreak Labyrinth
ML's Tricky Teamwork [Co-op]
WIP:
"Capture the Cube 3"
Workshop Maps Link: http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198008890579/myworkshopfiles/[/spoiler]
MasterLagger wrote:
I got an idea for a theme: Recreate a classic video game level from the N64 and PlayStation era (007, Silent Hill, Perfect Dark, etc) using Portal 2 Authoring Tools without using custom content. That would bring back some pleasant memories, as long as the maps aren't poorly made.

And the poor judges would have to research the background for each of those submissions if they don't know the game/level it bases on?

Page 1 of 2Next