Please or Register to create posts and topics.

New Puzzle Item Icon Glitch, Help

Page 1 of 2Next

So, I was trying to make neurotoxin for the PTI editor, and the instance works great. However, my path in editoritems.txt pointing to an icon that is in the same exact place as the other icons, is not taking effect. In the game, it shows up as the regular purple-black checkerboard texture, even though I checked the spelling and the path. When I changed the icon to the frankenturret, it worked. So, I cannot seem to get any custom icons for the new element working, even using vmt and vtf files.

Code: Select all
            "Palette"
            {
               "Tooltip"   "Neurotoxin Timer"
               "Image"      "palette/panel_toxin.png"
               "Position"   "0 3 0"
            }

Here is the placeholder picture I am trying use till I can get a better one:

My YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/Camben24
Aperture Science: We do our science asbestos we can!

This is really stupid, but the editor doesn't use those PNG files. It uses almost-identical (but higher-resolution) VTF files from materials/models/puzzlemaker/palette, which are all packed in the VPK.

Falsi sumus crusto!

Wow, that is ridiculous! :lol: Oh well, thanks for the help!

My YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/Camben24
Aperture Science: We do our science asbestos we can!

You should be able to fix it by just taking the VTF you made and putting it in materials/models/puzzlemaker/palette IIRC.

Falsi sumus crusto!

Well, unfortunately source doesn't support png/jpg/tga so to be honest; shouldn't be too surprising that you can't use the png :P

It's probably included for the sake of making it easy to make different icons so you have a simple base reference.

The same goes for subtitles; they're included as .txt files; but the game uses compiled versions in .dat files. Once again; makes an easy comparison.

What's weird that the portal 2 logo on the main menu uses a VMT. :potd:

yishbarr wrote:

vtf's are the actual textures, they are the actual images; the vmt's are the materials, they give properties like material type, transparency etc.
Basically every texture that needs to be used in game as a texture needs a vmt.

The really weird thing about those PNGs is that they're smaller than the VTFs and off-color.

Falsi sumus crusto!
Lpfreaky90 wrote:
yishbarr wrote:

vtf's are the actual textures, they are the actual images; the vmt's are the materials, they give properties like material type, transparency etc.
Basically every texture that needs to be used in game as a texture needs a vmt.

I know that, but a non in game texture needs to have an unlit generic vmt.

These ones are just pure VTFs, no VMTs. I don't know why the main menu ones still use UnlitGeneric VMTs.

Falsi sumus crusto!
Page 1 of 2Next