Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Need working grate instance for coop

Hello. :)

I was trying to edit the glass/grate instance of the puzzle maker to avoid the glitch,
where you can pass a cube trough the grate by placing a portal on a white wall and on
the wall behind the grate.

After changing the instance to func_brush, func_clip_vphysics and player_clip and endless
variations of trigger_multiple / trigger_push i gave up, because nothing really worked.

I was able to prevent the cube from being thrown trough the grate and this also fixed the
funnel glitch where the cube would ignore the grate. But you could still pass it trough and
give it to the other player.

Does anyone have a working grate instance with a good looking texture (i kind of like the
puzzle editor grates texture) to share with me? Or could anyone tell me how to setup the
instance correctly in hammer?

[back on TWP since 08. July 2017]
Steam: DrFauli

Hey,

The problem with the grate is nearly unsolvable IF you don't leave at least a space of around 32 units (you need a bit less than that) between a white wall and the grate. Looks like, even though you have all those 3 brushes you mentioned (func_brush non solid, func_clip_physics and playerclip textured world brush) well set up, when a portal is opened up near the grate, its physics prevail over that set up. I think that you even need more separation to avoid the cube portal flinging, but I can't remember (I'll check later at home my map Da-MaSK where I had to place a lot of grate on the floor with a certain separation to abvoid this)

ImageImageImageImageImageuseful tools and stuff here on TWP :thumbup:
[spoiler]ImageImageImageImageImage[/spoiler]

Thanks for your comment.

I tried to grab the cube trough a grate, which was standing alone in the middle of the room
and this will also work, even with the setup I am using. So that is kind of not usefull. :thumbdown:

But I have talked with DaMaGepy via Steam, and he told me to look up to his map source,
where he used grates, too. So he is using a normal 'grate-textured' world brush and the 'old'
cage model for the grate.

I just copied his world brush, deleted my func_brush and changed the texture size of the world brush
to 12x of its normal size (because I am using the original peti setup, there would be 2 textures
overlapping each other) - so that only the black part of the grate texture is visible.

I know this sounds all weird and it might not be the best solution, but now listen!

This method works very well.
I now have the "original" puzzle editor glass/grate item to choose from and the grate actually
works as a grate should work. You cant pass a cube trough it, neither can you grab it, when the
grate is between you an the cube (middle of the room)

Even if you place the instance on a white wall and place a portal behind it and a white wall,
you can not pass a cube trough it, not even hold a cube trough it, its like a "wall".
- funnel works, light bridge works, laser works
- you cant grab / pass a cube trough it

But... of course - there is one problem right now.
It casts a shadow on the wall behind it.

When I place it in the middle of the room, all is looking good...
but in front of a wall it is casting a shadow...

Any idea if it is possible to prevent this?
Because I really want to get that damn grate working, now that DaMaGepy's solutions works as a grate.

Well... i tried my best with the working solution, and if used with enough light strips,
it kind of looks "okay"... I am gonna use it anyway, because I really need a working one.

- func_detail (128x128x1) - 2 units away from the "wall"
- world brush textured with player_clip (128x128x4)

ingame:

It is still pretty dark, and you cant place it near a wall without at least 2 light strips.
(If you do, shadows will make look it really bad and dark)

But at least it does not allow players to pass cubes trough it.
- funnel works, laser works, lightbridge works.
- you cant pass a cube trough a portal from behind
- you cant grab a cube, if the grate is placed in the middle of the room (away from any wall)