Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Model Leaks

Page 1 of 2Next

Has anyone else noticed all the props are leaking? maybe it's because i have them placed as static? should you not place static props against the floor or wall? i cant imagine it would matter, though, i have it against, but not even touching the floors and walls.
My buttons, doorframes, and some doors are doing it.

It states:
**** leaked ****
Entity prop_static (132.69 204.77 -111.74) leaked!

I'm also concerned, once my map got a bit more complicated, it slowly took longer and longer to process, up to about 5 to 10 minutes, now it's back down to like 1 minute again, i'm concerned that as it has gotten larger, it has started acquiring leaks, but I have looked at every inch and make sure that all outer walls are at least 32w, so it's easy to debug later.

Any suggestions?
I'm going to post the map, you have to turn on sv_cheats and noclip to 1 to do a whole lot because the doors still dont activate. Also, I am still trying to figure out how to make water kill you. So, the area that looks like there should be water... there should.

I would like to mention, this is still a ways from final project (as you may have guessed.) dont judge too harshly, just yet. And i correct myself, you do not have to use noclip, i forgot, i set up the doors so you could walk through them, just so they were a visual representation of what i was trying to do.

A lot of things here:

1.) The leak. This doesn't mean the prop itself is leaking, that is just the nearest entity to the leak. Load up the map, and then load up the pointfile. This will draw a visible line from the entity to the leak (though it will probably bounce around all over the place first).

2.) As far as a longer compile time, fixing your leak should help resolve that. After that, make sure you are using proper optimization techniques (func_detail, etc.).

3.) The doors are probably a prop_dynamic, and you need to trigger them to open. See the SDK example on prop_dynamics.

4.) Try trigger_hurt to make a volume of damage around your water.

[Important Threads] Forum Rules | Welcome to the new Thinking With Portals
Please do not Private Message me for assistance. Post a thread if you have questions or concerns.
If you need to contact the staff privately, contact the Global Moderators via Discord.
msleeper wrote:
A lot of things here:

1.) The leak. This doesn't mean the prop itself is leaking, that is just the nearest entity to the leak. Load up the map, and then load up the pointfile. This will draw a visible line from the entity to the leak (though it will probably bounce around all over the place first).

2.) As far as a longer compile time, fixing your leak should help resolve that. After that, make sure you are using proper optimization techniques (func_detail, etc.).

3.) The doors are probably a prop_dynamic, and you need to trigger them to open. See the SDK example on prop_dynamics.

4.) Try trigger_hurt to make a volume of damage around your water.

bear with me, how do you load the pointfile? And, you say optimization techniques? In what way do i use func_detail? Just place that in each room? (Sorry, it's been a long time since I've done this stuff. Please bear with me. If you dont want to tell me, I can research it. What you have told me already is vastly helpful.)

this map looks beautiful. gimme puzzlez!

my map? *manly blushing* thanks, i appreciate that. It's the result of 20 hours of ignoring my girlfriend. (i dont know for how much longer i can work with maps, she's starting to get annoyed. Lol)

Oh, and I looked up how to load the pointfile, and must say. AWESOME!!!! I never knew about that, that will save me hours of searching for one little issue. I found that and it resolved everything. Thank you msleeper. And, you dont have to detail everything, i found info on what you were speaking of much more quickly than i expected.

Yeah, that is looking like a cool design :)

keep it up, you're thinking with portals already :P

why don't any of ya'll cameras fall off at all? not a mapper, but i think it's interesting, they must have put a little script in.

that file is not big =P I would expect that to be a 'small' size considered for maps!

When you said 'big' i thought it was like 20mb until i scrolled down lol.

roger federer wrote:
why don't any of ya'll cameras fall off at all? not a mapper, but i think it's interesting, they must have put a little script in.

I bet there is some sort of entity setup for making cameras fall off. I have yet to look at the official maps yet, but I am sure that is what it is.

[Important Threads] Forum Rules | Welcome to the new Thinking With Portals
Please do not Private Message me for assistance. Post a thread if you have questions or concerns.
If you need to contact the staff privately, contact the Global Moderators via Discord.
Page 1 of 2Next