Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Map Developement Group

PreviousPage 3 of 4Next

but you can get free energy with portals (i guess that's why they can't exist... Uin=Uout) as long as you can see a higher place. but i'm confused about fling trick two also.

Aikar: No harm but your mspaint concept art is quite tricky to understand. You don't think you can make it in PS or so and make it more hi-res?

Pandar: Just downloaded and checked out your ideas, very nice, all of them! I hope at least one of them gets made, I think they would be very fun.

- Nezerv

I'm thinking with portals!
Artesia wrote:
I've been working on a map since the day portal came out.

After extensive testing on the day of release I can tell you that Pandar's number 2 idea, is... sadly, impossible as illistrated here.

Think of it this way: You transfer the downward momentum to diagonal momentum which then arcs to go to the next platform, due to gravity, the next platform can't be as high as the one before it. Due to physics you cannot gain more height then the height you fell for momentum, and the only way to get the same height is to keep it vertical, once you start putting arcs into it, gravity takes hold and brings you down after a few jumps.

I'm still undecided wether I'll release a progress of my map or not, but it has a "creative" solution to this problem.

It's possible actually. I've also been thinking about physics with the game, and the conclusion is always that our laws of nature don't hold true in the Half-Life world ^^

For example, if you place a portal in the ceiling and one on the floor. You're standing on the floor. So:

E=mgh, h=0m so E=0J

You jump trough the floor portal and come out at the ceiling. Which is, say, 10 meters above the floor. So:

E=mgh
h=10m
m=75kg?
g=around10m/s2
E=7500J

Which is why a floor-ceiling portal tunnel gives you unlimited energy, thus speed (up to the air resistance).

Back to Pandar's idea. You can trough the first diagonal surface, playing a portal on ground level. In this fling you place a portal on the second diagonal surface. Once you reach the ground from last fling, you place the other portal so that you fling from the second surface. And so on.

This is actually done in small in the game I think. In the large turret ambush chamber near the end.

My specializations:
-Thinking with portals
-Killing with Pyro's
-Defending with Engineers
-Healing with Medics

Here its my IDEA (and maybe project) ;) : http://img-up.net/img/my_mapLZiyV.PNG

Robinson wrote:
Which is why a floor-ceiling portal tunnel gives you unlimited energy, thus speed (up to the air resistance).

If we're discussing in-game physics, it probably bears noting that there is no air resistance as such. Terminal velocity is an arbitrarily defined constant, not the effect of friction with the air.

This can be observed by putting both portals next to each other and jumping in. You keep going in and out without ever slowing down due to air resistance.

"Games are made out of smaller games ? turtles all the way down, until you hit the game that is so trivial and stupid it isn?t deserving of the name." --Raph Koster
Hober wrote:
Robinson wrote:

If we're discussing in-game physics, it probably bears noting that there is no air resistance as such. Terminal velocity is an arbitrarily defined constant, not the effect of friction with the air.

This can be observed by putting both portals next to each other and jumping in. You keep going in and out without ever slowing down due to air resistance.

I don't know all too much about the term 'Terminal Velocity', I have a rather low degree of Physics understanding. But isn't Terminal Velocity actually the limit set by the precense of air resistance?

The Floor-Floor portal loop is a weird case, and indeed you should at some point stop with you point of gravity right inside the portal. But that's my point, I don't think Valve took the laws of nature too seriously. If they did the game would probably suffer.

My specializations:
-Thinking with portals
-Killing with Pyro's
-Defending with Engineers
-Healing with Medics
Robinson wrote:
I have a rather low degree of Physics understanding. But isn't Terminal Velocity actually the limit set by the precense of air resistance?

Exactly. Terminal velocity is the speed at which the pull of gravity is equaled out by the force of friction of air against a falling object. Thus an object with less friction (a wad of paper) will fall faster than one with more friction (a flat sheet of paper). Skydivers can assume many different positions to increase or decrease their friction, and therefore speed.

Robinson wrote:
The Floor-Floor portal loop is a weird case, and indeed you should at some point stop with you point of gravity right inside the portal.

That assumes that the center of gravity is directly below the floor. It is instead some miles through the earth (assuming we're keeping things terrestrial), near the center of the planet. In game terms, this just means that gravity is always in the negative Z direction.

Robinson wrote:
But that's my poinI don't know all too much about the term 'Terminal Velocity',t, I don't think Valve took the laws of nature too seriously. If they did the game would probably suffer.

I'll definitely agree with this. The game is a simulation, which means that it cuts certain corners, such as having no air resistance and an arbitrarily set terminal velocity. The trick is to find those corners that were cut and use them.

"Games are made out of smaller games ? turtles all the way down, until you hit the game that is so trivial and stupid it isn?t deserving of the name." --Raph Koster

I can't see them taking a game that has a robot that talks to you and a portal device really realistic anyway.

Life is like a pipe, it's hard to get through and you're not always guaranteed a happy ending.

I'm thinking of making a series of maps taking place after the official game's "time". The facility will be in a sort of "red-alert" setting, with broken equipment, red lights etc...

http://www.dpgames.co.uk/

Sanity is not statistical.
paraddoxx wrote:
Here its my IDEA (and maybe project) ;) : http://img-up.net/img/my_mapLZiyV.PNG

Nice, I like it. Let me know if you need any help with anything. I'd like to somehow be a part of this idea.

I would also like to suggest making little groups that work together (maybe have some neat little competetions.) In a group, you would have one puzzle designer/map critic, one primary room navigation creator, and one detail creator. Get like 3 teams of 3 going on mapsets. Maybe each group would have to make the hardest maps, or the most voted set of maps with a simple poll.

Let's say, theoretically, each team is given 1 month to make 3 well created and organized maps. To start, the puzzle creator gets to work on some map concepts, everyone votes amongst the team, picks the 3 they like the best, or merges some ideas together, then the puzzle creator gets to work on the final draft of the first map, churns it out after a few days, then shoots it out to the primary room navigation creator, then after he has gotten the basic layout made in the game, shoot it to the detail creator to insert models, doors, puzzle components, textures, etc, at which point, the puzzle creator should be about done with the second of three maps. The whole thing could definitely be done within a month (assuming other people have very little life, like myself. (man, my g/f hates me right now.)

Winners get props, and nothing more, haha.

That way, we are challenging ourselves, by challenging eachother and working together to get some really tough stuff going.

I would like to open an invitation, anyone who thinks this is a neat idea, pm me and maybe we can get some really good stuff going.

PreviousPage 3 of 4Next