Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Making Fire

Hi, I'm new to the site, and hoping to make some Portal maps! I've got a bunch of great ideas. I have no problems with making the maps themselves, but some entities don't seem to be working with me.

Anyone experienced with making fire? Something similar to Testchamber 19, as in a large area with fire.

I've set up several env_fire entities and several env_firesource entities around the pit, as well as several pieces of wood to catch fire. The env_firesources are close enough to the env_fires. I added some env_ember effects slightly above the floor as well.

Anyway, the fire doesn't appear. If I fall in the pit, I take damage, but there's no actual flame. I know that the fire doesn't generate light, and I'm going to have a flickering light down below for that. But what do you do to create the actual flames?

env_fire
Ignition Point = 5
Infinite Duration
Visible from Above
Size = 32
Start Disabled = 0

env_firesource
Intensity / Damage = 10
Radius = 128
Start On

Please? :)
[/img]

The way level 19 does it for the beginning of the escape is to use an info_particle_system. Use fire_large_02 as the particle effect, and thats all there is to it. Using this, the fire doesn't actually spread to other things, but it looks pretty good.

The info_particle_system method looks good but doesnt hurt you, so a few 'trigger_hurt's are needed, I'd use one on a low damage setting (5ish) on top of the flames and then one on a massive damage seting (200ish) at the base of the flames.