Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Logic Portals -Chamber 00 to 03 by Hurricaaane

Page 1 of 2Next

Something mostly seen in portal maps now days is basic sense. Very Basic sense to that, that no one has tried something a bit out of the odd, or very different from basic.

However with Logic Portals, it goes a bit beyond the normal, introducing things that most people haven't ever tried before. Techniques like, "Half-Portaling" as well as a simple height trick changed to gain height from continuous maneuverability.

Of course not to leave all that without mentioning perhaps the Single Stand point in these maps. The main part, and thats something that interests me most. Its not the new textures, not the new tricks added in, but in fact a new tech. A simple Cube, floating in space, but not just any space. A space made and designed very well to accompany and also visually explain the device that holds the Weighted Storage Cube in Mid-air. The use of simple entity's, as well as props allow the device to feel real, and in my mind I pictured that this is something I could see Aperture Science making. I looked at it, and felt like it was straight from the Dev's up at Valve, who made Portal.

Simple as that, and suffice to say, the device wasn't used frequently enough, and when I mean frequently, I mean I didn't see it in any real puzzles worth its time and existence.

That made me feel a bit disappointed, that it wasn't used all to much, but I did feel as if it was preparing me. This is something key to a developer, and thats to show something off, but leave in it mystery for a period in time. It allows not only to vitally change a Mechanic, but to perfect. And with that, I know that this will be used surely in Hurricaaane's future maps. And I hope to see much more of this, in other maps as well.

Another thing to add to the review before a final rating is the addition of textures. They seem to feel a bit out of place within the area, but are still an admiration of work. They need to be revised slightly, but still, I feel as they somehow fit. Something that really made me smile was the Overlay materials used to show the different puzzle methods implemented into his puzzles. They felt official, and i also hope to see much more of this as well.

The map is very well made, not only in brushwork as is appears through a play in Portal, but in creativity, which is why this map succeeds so much. Its Pleasing, and has alot of "whoa thats cool" moments into it, so you'll be sure to have tons of fun in it.

Teleporters are the smartest method of transferring the player back and forth, and too see them used here was great.

The Cube floater wasn't used to much, and was a real disappointment to the map, however it was a great addition.

Gameplay: Very good, with some thought outs, and new concepts. -5/5
Design: Great Brushwork, clear goals, and very well made lighting. -5/5
Puzzles: Fluent, and requires the player to place portals smartly and use them wisely on some of the Countdown Timers, including being fast with their reflexes.-5/5

Something you shouldn't miss!

Currently working on Darksiders 3.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the floating cube tech isn't in "Logic Portals -Chamber 00 to 02", it's in Chamber 03.

Hmm i checked it out in 02, odd, 01 goes striaght to 03 for me, no 02 then, odd, well I'll change the name to make sure it all fits.

Excuse me but there's absolutely no place where you need to bunny hop. I don't even know how to do it on Source engine and even lesser in Portal. I think I can guess about where you're talking about. Think with portals! :)

Anyway, I don't think I'm in position to comment this review :D

Made Logic Portals in early 2008. Making diportals in 2011.
Author of Minecraft mods (MAtmos, Minaptics, NoteSlider) and Garry's Mod addons (Gunstrumental, SharpeYe, GarryWare, DepthHUD).

No but it does aid, and helps, but it does seem like walking there isnt possible in a few ways.

This has nothing to do with the review.

We need to either a) mirror those images on the wiki and link to them there (the kludge solution) or b) have someone with FTP access upload them to the site and have them linked from there (the more elegant but msleeper-requiring solution).

"Games are made out of smaller games ? turtles all the way down, until you hit the game that is so trivial and stupid it isn?t deserving of the name." --Raph Koster

I'm going to download those images locally one of these days when I finish the review admin page.

[Important Threads] Forum Rules | Welcome to the new Thinking With Portals
Please do not Private Message me for assistance. Post a thread if you have questions or concerns.
If you need to contact the staff privately, contact the Global Moderators via Discord.

Oh you mean the little blue bubbles? or Something else?

MrTwoVideoCards wrote:
Oh you mean the little blue bubbles?

Yeah. All the pictures currently hosted on (shudder) TinyPic.

"Games are made out of smaller games ? turtles all the way down, until you hit the game that is so trivial and stupid it isn?t deserving of the name." --Raph Koster

Okey Dokey!

Page 1 of 2Next