Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Inspiration

Hi, I just started with the PTI, and I made 3 test chambers. 1 has a major exploit that lets you bypass the entire test, but the other 2 are pretty good, the third, (silence of the turrets) has an alternate solution, which I found by idling (strangely enough, it was to get some cake) Im looking for a way to use light bridges and mobility gels in my next map, but I hit a block.
Most of my map ideas convert puzzles from the Co-OP into single player, so im thinking of repulsion gel and vertical light bridges, but I can't think of how it would work.

Also, hammer - should i learn how to use it, As I just started making maps?

Indeed you should begin learning hammer. Hammer will allow you to detail your maps, make more accurate puzzles and more complex maps. It's not that difficult to learn it, once you control the main elements the rest is very smooth and you can reach whatever level you want... and there are many beginner tutorials out there...

I would recommend Solarchronus channel for a start:

http://www.youtube.com/user/SolarChronus

Good luck!

ImageImageImageImageImageuseful tools and stuff here on TWP :thumbup:
[spoiler]ImageImageImageImageImage[/spoiler]

Lightbridges could be activated by buttons, which need cubes which need to be unlocked somewhere.

Hammer is a lot more complicated then the PTI, creating a map in hammer will take quite a lot longer. When your familiar with hammer it is much more powerful though. You can make every style you want, use more complex logic and much much more.

I've found that the Valve developer's wiki tutorial is really good. (that wiki has a hell of a lot information, be sure to check it out if you decided to use hammer!)

lpfreaky90 wrote:
Lightbridges could be activated by buttons, which need cubes which need to be unlocked somewhere.

Hammer is a lot more complicated than the PTI, creating a map in hammer will take quite a lot longer. When your familiar with hammer it is much more powerful though. You can make every style you want, use more complex logic and much much more.

I've found that the Valve developer's wiki tutorial is really good. (that wiki has a hell of a lot information, be sure to check it out if you decided to use hammer!)

than* PTI, sorry about that, just one of my pet peeves. As for the inspiration, sometimes I just listen to music, or draw, or the idea just comes to me for a puzzle, then I end up scrapping it in the end.

Code: Select all<msleeper>: i'm a fat male who gets bored at sporting events

Here's an idea for you to steal:
Have an acid pit that requires repulsion gel to bounce between walls. You could also find a way to work in the vertical light bridge so the player would be required to paint the light bridge to get across.

Crazy is as crazy does.
My Work
[spoiler]Maps:
Revenge of the Angry Turrets
Capture the Cube [Co-op]
Capture the Cube 2 [Co-op]
TPWEGTH Sample Map
Aperture Aquatic Testing Center
Aperture Aquatic Testing Center 2
Aperture Time Testing Center
ML's Halloween Trick - 1000 downloads!
ML's Halloween Treat
ML's Combination - 1000 downloads!
ML's Jailbreak Labyrinth
ML's Tricky Teamwork [Co-op]
WIP:
"Capture the Cube 3"
Workshop Maps Link: http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198008890579/myworkshopfiles/[/spoiler]
MasterLagger wrote:
Here's an idea for you to steal:
Have an acid pit that requires repulsion gel to bounce between walls. You could also find a way to work in the vertical light bridge so the player would be required to paint the light bridge to get across.

Hey ML, are you being sarcastic? at least it sounded like so to me, as that's not at all new...

ImageImageImageImageImageuseful tools and stuff here on TWP :thumbup:
[spoiler]ImageImageImageImageImage[/spoiler]

It's not new. In fact, that's why I used the word "steal" since it has already been done. But it does require effort and precision to pull off. And when done well, it does look pretty cool.
When I'm sarcastic, I usually have the courtesy of using italics or other ways of altering text. I do this because some people are too smart to understand what I type. That and you can't hear the person's tone though typed text.

Crazy is as crazy does.
My Work
[spoiler]Maps:
Revenge of the Angry Turrets
Capture the Cube [Co-op]
Capture the Cube 2 [Co-op]
TPWEGTH Sample Map
Aperture Aquatic Testing Center
Aperture Aquatic Testing Center 2
Aperture Time Testing Center
ML's Halloween Trick - 1000 downloads!
ML's Halloween Treat
ML's Combination - 1000 downloads!
ML's Jailbreak Labyrinth
ML's Tricky Teamwork [Co-op]
WIP:
"Capture the Cube 3"
Workshop Maps Link: http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198008890579/myworkshopfiles/[/spoiler]

[beep] Sarcasm Self-Test Complete [beep]

Shift: Trichotomy - Beginnings ? Prelude ? Denouement