Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Information on Portal 2 Puzzle Creator

Page 1 of 10Next

If you have any information on the Portal 2 Puzzle Creator, please post it here. I'll start:
It has been confirmed (I E-Mailed Valve about it) that the Puzzle Creator will look "Better" than it's screenshots. (Their actual words.)

(If this has been posted before, sorry! Please feel free to delete it.)

Spam at critical levels. Forum overheating. Evacuate immediately.
(Don't listen to him, we'll be fine)

--
Old signature preserved for historical reasons.
I wonder what happens when Cave Johnson gets his pain pills...

It's going to be awesome.
Confirmed by valve.

It's going to be easier then hammer.
Confirmed by valve.

I'm curious about this as well. I hope it doesn't water down the mapping community.. if everyone can just mash blocks of "puzzles" together we're going to get a lot of garbage, not just on this site but in general...

I wish they'd focus on making Hammer more stable and user-friendly, rather than this.. thing. Hammer is a useful skill that translates to other design programs and mod tools (and vice versa, that's the only reason I can use Hammer despite having opened it for the first time 2 months ago) and Valve should be encouraging people to learn things that are useful...

Like, what about when CS:GO comes out? Are they going to release an "easy CS map maker" where you just mash pre-built chokepoints together? Or are they going to release a proper map maker so people can actually be creative? lol... just makes me worried for the future of modders

I'm just interested in release date.I'll make a decision on it after I have seen it

Kaleido wrote:
I'm curious about this as well. I hope it doesn't water down the mapping community.. if everyone can just mash blocks of "puzzles" together we're going to get a lot of garbage, not just on this site but in general...

I wish they'd focus on making Hammer more stable and user-friendly, rather than this.. thing. Hammer is a useful skill that translates to other design programs and mod tools (and vice versa, that's the only reason I can use Hammer despite having opened it for the first time 2 months ago) and Valve should be encouraging people to learn things that are useful...

Like, what about when CS:GO comes out? Are they going to release an "easy CS map maker" where you just mash pre-built chokepoints together? Or are they going to release a proper map maker so people can actually be creative? lol... just makes me worried for the future of modders

I find hammer a great tool, it does what it supposed to do and I think it isn't really that complicated. BASICALLY you have brushes and entities and you have to connect them. The NUMBER of entities Hammer can use however is very very high since it's been in use for about 16 years, which is an incredible amount for a tool like this. It has also been used in various games, requiring different entities which are still found in hammer. This makes it easier to start with but it's very powerful for experience users.

An easy CS map maker COULD be good. I really enjoyed the easy map maker from "Time Splitters 2". you could connect pre-built blocks together to create a map. You should search for that. The main point why portal 2 can use a tool like this is because of its modular design. All maps can be represented in a flow chart.
press button -> get cube -> put cube on button -> open door.
To create a proper puzzle you don't need to add lots of details or other stuff.
To create a proper map I think you do at least some details. So I think the mapmaker ca be used to make amazing puzzles but not really amazing maps, but only time will tell.

Final point: the map maker won't replace hammer, hammer will still be easy map maker's big brother. So you I suppose the easy map maker can also be a great tool for experienced mappers to quickly draft an idea, see if it works, and then create it in hammer.

But that's just my $0,02

Isn't there already a thread about this?

Crazy is as crazy does.
My Work
[spoiler]Maps:
Revenge of the Angry Turrets
Capture the Cube [Co-op]
Capture the Cube 2 [Co-op]
TPWEGTH Sample Map
Aperture Aquatic Testing Center
Aperture Aquatic Testing Center 2
Aperture Time Testing Center
ML's Halloween Trick - 1000 downloads!
ML's Halloween Treat
ML's Combination - 1000 downloads!
ML's Jailbreak Labyrinth
ML's Tricky Teamwork [Co-op]
WIP:
"Capture the Cube 3"
Workshop Maps Link: http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198008890579/myworkshopfiles/[/spoiler]
lpfreaky90 wrote:
It's going to be awesome.
Confirmed by valve.

The word "Awesome" was tagged to the Puzzle Creator way before it was even thought up.

--
andyb wrote:
I'm just interested in release date.I'll make a decision on it after I have seen it

I know the (planned) release date... but I can't tell anyone, sorry. (Unless they can keep it secret like VALVe told me to.)

--
lpfreaky90 wrote:
Kaleido wrote:

I find hammer a great tool, it does what it supposed to do and I think it isn't really that complicated. BASICALLY you have brushes and entities and you have to connect them. The NUMBER of entities Hammer can use however is very very high since it's been in use for about 16 years, which is an incredible amount for a tool like this. It has also been used in various games, requiring different entities which are still found in hammer. This makes it easier to start with but it's very powerful for experience users.

An easy CS map maker COULD be good. I really enjoyed the easy map maker from "Time Splitters 2". you could connect pre-built blocks together to create a map. You should search for that. The main point why portal 2 can use a tool like this is because of its modular design. All maps can be represented in a flow chart.
press button -> get cube -> put cube on button -> open door.
To create a proper puzzle you don't need to add lots of details or other stuff.
To create a proper map I think you do at least some details. So I think the mapmaker ca be used to make amazing puzzles but not really amazing maps, but only time will tell.

Final point: the map maker won't replace hammer, hammer will still be easy map maker's big brother. So you I suppose the easy map maker can also be a great tool for experienced mappers to quickly draft an idea, see if it works, and then create it in hammer.

But that's just my $0,02

I like the idea of using it to blueprint concepts before executing... I just hope they make it easy to transfer to Hammer... In theory you could decompile those maps anyway I guess but it'd be nice if it was officially supported for that use.

What would be good is if it spits out a vmf,vmx, etc, etc to import.If it doesnt have that then its pretty much useless for serious mappers

Page 1 of 10Next