Please or Register to create posts and topics.

How-to: Reimplement the PTI-Elevators after Hammer-polish

Edit:

The new update made this obsolete:

"Using puzzlemaker_export to export a custom vmf will make the player start in the elevators and not spawn the triggers that restart the map when walking in the exit hallway"

--

Maybe you are a casual map-maker like me: Use the PTI first and then see what you could easily improve with Hammer while you're making your first steps with it. You might have a small problem though: Because you exported the testing version of the map from the Puzzle Creator, the elevator rides don't happen. The player will spawn in front of the exit door and the map will auto-restart at the exit. Any experienced player will laugh about this guide, but maybe it helps more noobs like me to use Hammer more often.

How to fix the entrance:

Move the camera inside the entrance elevator. Doubleclick into the orange "blob" that's filling the whole elevator. That's the func_instance combining all the stuff happening in the beginning. You should see the Class Info now. See the second entry from the top: $no_player_start. Change its value from 0 to 1. That should do it. :thumbup:

Edit: It might be necessary to also do this for the entrance room. So doubleclick into the orange "blob" that's filling the whole entrance room. Change the $no_player_start value to 1 here, too.

Note: If it happens to you that after doing this and compiling you suddenly start in a black room without a portalgun, this helped me: Save and close Hammer, open it again and load the map, compile again.

How to fix the exit:

A huge thanks to Vordwann for pointing this out in the middle of the night.

Move the camera into the exit door area, not the exit elevator. Doubleclick into the orange "blob" that's filling the whole exit room. That's the func_instance combining everything happening in the exit area. On the bottom of the new window, choose "Edit Instance". Hammer now shows you of which seperate parts this big func_instance consists. Move the camera inside the room and find an orange Trigger-wall near the actual exit door. Doubleclick it and go to "Outputs" to make sure you have the right one. You have the right one if you read "OnTrigger clientcommand Command load autosave" here. Close the window and delete this Trigger-wall.

Now an important thing: You don't want to destroy anything important by doing this! Click "Save as" and add something to the Instance name so you don't overwrite the real one! Name it "door_exit_2_no_restart" for example. Once saved, doubleclick the func_instance filling the exit area again. Click on "VMF filename" and browse the folder. Now select the newly saved no-restart-vmf and hit "Apply". :thumbup:

Now that I remembered it again, running the puzzlemaker_export <desired map name> command in-game while testing your map is the best thing.

My Maps:
[spoiler][SP] Alternate[/spoiler]

But you will still have the messed up elevators?
Interesting read though :D

lpfreaky90 wrote:
But you will still have the messed up elevators?
Interesting read though :D

Unfortunately, yes. That was my problem yesterday. And I first thought there'd be no elevators in the map at all and that I'd have to make new ones from scratch. :lol: