Please or Register to create posts and topics.

How to: Overwrite old PTI map with Hammer update

When the PTI came out I soon began to use Hammer to add things the PTI editor couldn't do. But I didn't know how to replace the already published PTI version with the new Hammer edited version - it seemed like the publishing tool for Hammer maps and the ingame publishing were mutually exclusive. But someone at the Steam forums pointed me at a thread describing how to do it:

Open Hammer and browse SteamSteamAppscommonportal 2sdk_contentmaps. Your PTI maps are saved with filenames consisting only of numbers here. Find the one you want to edit and save it under a different name.

Next, open the ingame editor. Open your old PTI version, click on publish and wait while the level is being built - but when that is done and you see the screen with the title and description don't click on publish yet. Instead, press ALT+TAB to go to Hammer.

When building your level, the game saved the .bsp and .vmf inside SteamSteamAppscommonportal 2sdk_contentmaps with a filename consisting only of numbers again.

Open your Hammer edited version in Hammer. Now save it under this exact filename with the numbers, overwriting the file that the ingame editor just created. Then compile your map. This will create a .bsp with the same filename, overwriting the .bsp the ingame editor just created.

ALT+TAB back into the ingame editor. Now press the publish button. The game will now start to upload the Hammer-edited map, overwriting the old PTI version.

Awesome! Good to know :thumbup: