Please or Register to create posts and topics.

How To Decompile Portal 2 Models

PreviousPage 2 of 3Next

From what i understand the models are separate from the animation. The models have a set of bones which the animation file reads and moves the bones accordingly.

$includmodel "player_animations.mdl" means it uses animations from that file, yes. If your own model has the same bone structure and naming as chells/the one this player_animations.mdl uses, your model will have all animations from there, too.

Thanks for the reply.
Now to test things out, I decompiled chell, then recompiled her, looked into the model viewed and she had the list of sequences however she did not animate when I selected one. Is there something I am missing?

Joints tend to get horribly screwed up when you decompile Portal 2 models. I wouldn't recommend it for something you want to animate.

Falsi sumus crusto!

OK. So if I use the valve bipeds that I downloaded, I have to use the player_animations.MDL file that is unique to that biped set. Or grab chells biped set and attach that to my model.
Am I correct?

I'm not sure if it will work, but you can try. I don't know if Portal 2 uses the standard biped joint arrangement.

Falsi sumus crusto!

You don't even have to decompile the model. Just take a look on the Chell model via ModelViewer and make sure what names it's bones have.

Alsome!! thanks, my model is working. But when i pick up a portal gun it moves along the ground with the player. I think i read a post on this a while back, but does anyone know how to fix this.

You need to declare an attachment bone/point for weapons. They have a given name, just take a look on Chell's model.

Do you know if it is possible to let me play as my model in co-op so that the other computer can see me playing as my model. I don't think it is possible without it being a my own custom hammer map.
Any advise would be appreciated.

PreviousPage 2 of 3Next