Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Hammer not starting after DLC update

Page 1 of 4Next

When I'm trying to load Hammer from Authoring Tools, it just shows its main window with splash screen for few seconds and then crashes. Deleting Authoring Tools and reinstalling it didn't help.

Nope, they screwed it up again.
I've just been informed by a valve employee that they're working on it.
Guess you should be working with the easy map maker then ;)

I KNEW IT!!!!! DAMN VALVE!!!! STUPID F*** PPL!!!

EDIT: I'm sorry, moderators...

ImageImageImageImageImageuseful tools and stuff here on TWP :thumbup:
[spoiler]ImageImageImageImageImage[/spoiler]

Maybe they just wanted to give us time to explore the new map editor. I did it and its... far too simple for me. I only would like to have an auto-connect of the blue lights between testing elements in Hammer sometimes :D
Maybe you used Noclip a bit, they have the arrival and depature elevators in the map, but you can't reach them (or did I something wrong?).
The next point: the "random" tiling at the walls isn't in the final map. All just the same textures.

The only thing this editor brings to us Hammerers are the new models, especially for the paint dropper modern style!

Skotty wrote:
Maybe they just wanted to give us time to explore the new map editor. I did it and its... far too simple for me. I only would like to have an auto-connect of the blue lights between testing elements in Hammer sometimes :D
Maybe you used Noclip a bit, they have the arrival and depature elevators in the map, but you can't reach them (or did I something wrong?).
The next point: the "random" tiling at the walls isn't in the final map. All just the same textures.

The only thing this editor brings to us Hammerers are the new models, especially for the paint dropper modern style!

The elevators used to be far away connected with worldportals, this to prevent problems with overlapping elevators/tests

Random tiling in the map is something that might be implemented later.

Also: cube dropper instances drop straight down and fit in a 128x128 space.
The flip panel is awesome to use.
The new funnel model is small enough to fit in 128x128 :)

Steam just downloaded something new. Still doesn't work.

The Aperture Alpha
A map pack coming soon. - click for more information

I noticed that I'm getting a "build error" when pressing F9 to check my puzzle in the ingame editor. Can this be linked to Hammer being fubar?

I've got a temp fix:

Download and extract this to something like common/portal 2/bin_old - DO NOT OVERRIDE, IT WILL BREAK PORTAL 2. Copy your current bin folder to something like bin_new.

When you want to use hammer, rename bin_old to bin. When you want to test maps or play portal 2, switch it back and rename bin_new to bin.

It's a bit annoying but at least you can use hammer.

Side note: the old one doesn't include the updated vbsp.exe or portal2.fgd, so you might want to copy those over from your new bin folder.

Hear the turret, for it is knell. It summons thee to heaven, or to hell.

Awesome, that works again. Thanks p0rtalplayer!

I feel so dumb now for not making a backup of my Steam folder before downloading that update.
I always think about that except when things actually break :notwant:

Anyway, let's hope they fix it soon.

Sendificate series: Sendificate | A Beam Too Far | Airtime | 302
Other Portal 2 maps: Medusa Glare
Portal 1 maps: Try Anything Twice | Manic Mechanic

As of now, Hammer should be fixed. Steam should download yet another update to the authoring tools that fixes the problem. :sigh of relief:

Page 1 of 4Next