Please or Register to create posts and topics.

[GUIDE] Uploading a Map to the Website

PreviousPage 2 of 3Next

It actually gets uploaded to C:/Program Files/Steam/Steamapps/Common/Portal 2/Sdk content/Maps/

My Maps:
[spoiler][SP] Alternate[/spoiler]

What if a map was big enough for players to goof around in and had a particular "goal" in the map?

Crazy is as crazy does.
My Work
[spoiler]Maps:
Revenge of the Angry Turrets
Capture the Cube [Co-op]
Capture the Cube 2 [Co-op]
TPWEGTH Sample Map
Aperture Aquatic Testing Center
Aperture Aquatic Testing Center 2
Aperture Time Testing Center
ML's Halloween Trick - 1000 downloads!
ML's Halloween Treat
ML's Combination - 1000 downloads!
ML's Jailbreak Labyrinth
ML's Tricky Teamwork [Co-op]
WIP:
"Capture the Cube 3"
Workshop Maps Link: http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198008890579/myworkshopfiles/[/spoiler]

Um, MasterLagger - That would be up to the big chief himself. As I have no rights over what is exactly meant to be uploaded.

EDIT: Vordmann - That is if they want the .vmf file of the map they have just compiled, not the .bsp file. The .bsp file gets compiled to the maps folder, not located in the sdk content.

Some of my Portal 2 maps || Mini-Faith || Careful Cube || Vertical Reach ||

|| Need help uploading a map...new user? Read my Map Uploading Guide ||
|| Want to play custom maps, but don't know how? Read my Playing Portal 2 Custom Maps Guide ||
MasterLagger wrote:
What if a map was big enough for players to goof around in and had a particular "goal" in the map?

Are you asking if a playground map is acceptable?

Well to be quite honest if it's got a particular "goal" in the map then it isn't really a playground I suppose. If you really want you can send me the map and I can let you know, I guess.

Now with 100% more inline comments!
WinstonSmith wrote:
MasterLagger wrote:

Are you asking if a playground map is acceptable?

Well to be quite honest if it's got a particular "goal" in the map then it isn't really a playground I suppose. If you really want you can send me the map and I can let you know, I guess.

Well, to be more precise, it's more of a map that isn't "straight forward." You can explore, goof around, and solve puzzles in it, but your not "forced" to do certain puzzles. I'd send you a copy, but it's still a WIP that's only 1/5 complete and the "goal" isn't completed either. I'll keep working on it till is seems to be at least 4/5 ready. BTW It's a big map.

Crazy is as crazy does.
My Work
[spoiler]Maps:
Revenge of the Angry Turrets
Capture the Cube [Co-op]
Capture the Cube 2 [Co-op]
TPWEGTH Sample Map
Aperture Aquatic Testing Center
Aperture Aquatic Testing Center 2
Aperture Time Testing Center
ML's Halloween Trick - 1000 downloads!
ML's Halloween Treat
ML's Combination - 1000 downloads!
ML's Jailbreak Labyrinth
ML's Tricky Teamwork [Co-op]
WIP:
"Capture the Cube 3"
Workshop Maps Link: http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198008890579/myworkshopfiles/[/spoiler]

How come that a updated map doesn't be placed in top of download page? (like then updating a map often it is still long down on page and hard to see that a map is updated.)

Hi, thanks for the tutorial! Hudge help!

Just one question though: after uploading, I've unchecked the box "Approve" because test subjects had found several shortcut in my map, thereby spoiling all the fun. So I just wanted to disable the download while I fix everything up...
...but now I can't find how to enable it back. In fact, I can't find the download page of my map.
Can you please help me and tell me how to find it? Was it deleted? Do I have to create a whole new dowload, without the previous versions?

Thanks

When I'm not poppin portals I make songs: http://soundcloud.com/scarblab
Thornscrup wrote:
Hi, thanks for the tutorial! Hudge help!

Just one question though: after uploading, I've unchecked the box "Approve" because test subjects had found several shortcut in my map, thereby spoiling all the fun. So I just wanted to disable the download while I fix everything up...
...but now I can't find how to enable it back. In fact, I can't find the download page of my map.
Can you please help me and tell me how to find it? Was it deleted? Do I have to create a whole new dowload, without the previous versions?

Thanks

It's not indended that users disapprove their own submissions. It's a moderative option to disable that download temporarily, therefore only moderators can reapprove it.
I reapproved your submission now, please don't take it offline everytime you're about to fix an issue. Just replace it with the latest version when it's done.

Oh sorry then. Still, I think it's too bad we can't disable download when we want to fix something, because while I'll be fixing it, people would download it, see the shortcut and spoil all the surprise.

Well, I guess I'd better fix it quickly then! Thanks for your help.

When I'm not poppin portals I make songs: http://soundcloud.com/scarblab

I have just updated the thread a bit.
It contains new information on the map names, playtesting and updating the map.

PreviousPage 2 of 3Next