Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Good Re-make idea or not?

Page 1 of 2Next

So you know... people have been remaking original portal test chambers in portal 2. There have been a lot of good recreations, but bad ones also. There are a lot of maps redesigning the old Portal tests. I wanted to remake some too... but I thought I would just be beating a dead horse.

So I was just wondering if this would be a good idea:
Recreating all 18 portal test chambers in the Underground/Old Aperture Portal 2 theme? Some of you know I really love to make the Old Aperture maps, so this would be a fun little project for me. I think it would turn out pretty awesome. Still... I want to know if you would want to see this, or is it old news? Thanks for the feedback.

My Hammer Maps
[Released] Power Interference
[Released] Rust and Dust (Spotlight Map!)
[Released] Multiportal

From the looks of it Alive and Kicking will include "elite" remakes of some chambers in the underground theme. I don't personally see the appeal of remaking Portal 1 levels; If the issue is you can't come up with good puzzle ideas, maybe you should team up with a puzzle designer who isn't good at hammer mapping (e.g., someone who only uses the PTI editor).

Mevious wrote:
From the looks of it Alive and Kicking will include "elite" remakes of some chambers in the underground theme. I don't personally see the appeal of remaking Portal 1 levels; If the issue is you can't come up with good puzzle ideas, maybe you should team up with a puzzle designer who isn't good at hammer mapping (e.g., someone who only uses the PTI editor).

Hmm, I might just let them take care of it then. And it's kind of like that: It's not that I can't come up with a good puzzle, it's that I just can't think of one whenever I want. It takes time. But, I'm a bit of a Hammer addict, so if I have no ideas on my mind (which is most of the time), I'll get extremely bored. That's why I like to recreate chambers, it gives me something to do while I think of an idea for my own.

My Hammer Maps
[Released] Multiportal

That sounds like a good idea to me. You'd probably need some better Old Aperturey combine ball launcher/catcher models, though. And possibly a portal gun pedestal. The rest should already exist.

Falsi sumus crusto!

If you can't come up with an idea between two maps, try to take a look at an older map and see what you can improve there. While you're using hammer you get more experienced and everyone's older work is not as good as their most recent stuff. It gives you something useful to do.

I personally still don't see the fun in re-creating portal 1 in portal 2.

Lpfreaky90 wrote:
I personally still don't see the fun in re-creating portal 1 in portal 2.

I don't know, I find it enjoyable to remake maps. I've already improved my old maps as well. I would improve BridgeBounce, but I lost the vmf to it a while ago. But, I guess I am one of the few who loves to remake maps.

My Hammer Maps
[Released] Multiportal

I understand that it's appealing to remake older maps since you don't have to think for yourself and just build, build, build. It might be a good experience and making the maps Old-Aperture-Style might be interesting to look at in the end, but it doesn't bring anything new to the table.

Anyways, it's up to you. I wouldn't consider remaking Portal 1 myself though.

Never use Logic to solve a puzzle, he's an idiot...

I enjoy portal maps in portal 2 very much. It can give you a chance to see how one person can put they're own twist on a level.
I also hated the hl2 engine in portal, the way you we're always upside down. And as a speed runner, I can a bunny hop with the portal 2 engine.

Big Mood

Well in Alive and Kicking the Elite chambers will be remakes of the regular Portal 1 chamber but they will be more difficult. So remaking the Portal 1 chambers in the underground theme without any sort of difficulty change would be nice to see.

I also like to recreate things, I'm not saying that it's because I can't think of anything I just like to recreate maps from Portal 1. Especially chamber 18 that one is my absolute favorite Portal 1 chamber.

"...those who would break the rules and laws are reguarded as scum, but those who would abandon even one of their friends, are worse than scum." -Obito Uchiha
Youtube Channel My Workshop
My Maps/Projects:

[spoiler]Maps:
RBC 1 RBC 2
Blue Walls
Converting Propulsion
One Week Creation
Secondary Fire
Flings Speed Patience
Ongoing Projects:
Alive & Kicking: Chamber 18 Secondary Fire[/spoiler]

RubyCarbuncIe wrote:
Especially chamber 18 that one is my absolute favorite Portal 1 chamber.

Mine too! :thumbup:

Indeed, I made my own version of this chamber, but very different for my very first attempt mapping... Now I only took a few mechanics because I enjoy flinging!

ImageImageImageImageImageuseful tools and stuff here on TWP :thumbup:
[spoiler]ImageImageImageImageImage[/spoiler]
Page 1 of 2Next