Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Friction?

is there a way to make certain surfaces slippery?

I'd like some of my objects (which are angled) to force you to slide off to prevent you from trying to exploit the map.

I was thinking I could do something like, trigger_push but that might get messy, I just want the objects slick like Ice.

any suggestions?

[insert visually obtrusive graphic or witty comment here]

Well in HL2 there is a material showcased/used in the "sewers" maps. If you completed HL2 (Org) then you should know what i'm talking about. Portal also used this material in the last map (escape_03). The material i'm talking about is a slippery "slum" surface that's almost feels like walking on ice.

I'm not sure this would work the way you want it to, but check it out.

- Nezerv

I'm thinking with portals!

I know such things exist, but I want to apply it to something that doesn't necessarily look slimy

if they dont make the jump, id rather them slide off the ramp then be standing there

It doesn't need to look slimy. It's just a texture, but it has some special values/code in its .vmt file and that is what makes it slimy. You just need to make/take any texture you want, and add those values to the .vmt file for your texture.

If you want, i can help you out with this. Just send me the texture you want to be slimy and I'll take care of it.

- Nezerv

well right now I am just using one of the concrete maps, I'd like it slippery as well as an invisible texture to work something like Player Clip, but slippery, that way I can make brushes over props I want you to slide off of... is there a special program for vmt files or is it just notepad? will this make a new texture or just edit the properties of said texture within the map? I know how to do .rad files to make light emitting textures is it similar to that?

Notepad will work just fine. In fact, it's probably the program that works best with editing .vmt files. Just don't use MS Word or such "advanced" programs, it won't work. Anyway, I've no idea about what you're talking about regarding the .rad files :)

But if it's anything like scripting/coding then you'll do just fine i think. .vmt editing is really simple and easy. If you want to know more about it or learn on how to do it yourself, visit http://www.interlopers.net/index.php?page=tutorials&cat=Texture_Creation

There you'll find plenty of resources on how to create .vmt files and .vtf files etc.

- Nezerv

mm dont see anything there about friction, mostly reflections and transparency. I supposed tomorrow I get to rip through the HL2 Levels and find a slick texture to study lol

It's not the general "settings" of the .vmt that affects the friction really, it is it's surfaceproperties. mudfloor004b uses dirt, which for example, has a friction value of 0.8 to name one of it's values.

- Nezerv

yeah I loaded mudfloor004b.vtf into vtfedit and I can't see any option for that. I dont see any values of .8

this is just plain stupid that they have no func_friction which I think they had for HL1 -_-