Please or Register to create posts and topics.

fastest times

PreviousPage 2 of 2

Really the crucial question is "Does it take skill to speedrun your map, or are they exploiting a bad design?"

- If a map has only one solution, and it's fun and challenging, then good.
- If a map has multiple solutions, and they're all fun and challenging, then that's better.
- If a map has multiple solutions, with one fun path and one super cheap/easy path, then I think the map does lose some of its luster.

Cr00ked.

that guy blew my time away , and i'm still curious how he did most of that stuff. Like does going backwards really make you go faster? and how did he do that cube jumping thing?

I may be wrong, but I think the speed runners move backwards into an elevator because the doors don't close until you look at them after you are inside the elevator. So if you go into the elevator backwards then you are looking at the doors as you enter and that saves time. Every second counts when your speed running.

The wall climbing/bunny hopping thing is a (lame, IMO) technique that involves staying crouched while you jump off an object, grab the object while in air, let go of object, jump off it while its in the air, grab it, drop it, jump it, and just keep repeating that to gain altitude. I think this usually involves mapping a string of those repeating commands to a single key becuase they have to be input both quickly and accurately.
I saw a HL2 speed run which was completed in about 1 hour 45 minutes where the player skipped large portions of outdoor scenes by flying around with that technique.

y-aji wrote:
haha, after watching those speedmaps that people do, i believe anything.

Good God, the stuff that people manage to do.

Indeed, I've seen some things that are so scary good, im not even sure Valve can top that.

Currently working on Darksiders 3.
Adair wrote:
I may be wrong, but I think the speed runners move backwards into an elevator because the doors don't close until you look at them after you are inside the elevator. So if you go into the elevator backwards then you are looking at the doors as you enter and that saves time. Every second counts when your speed running.

Nah, it's the accelerated backwards hopping technique that allows you to move really really fast, but only when moving backwards and crouching and jumping just right. It's a bug exploit.

PreviousPage 2 of 2