Please or Register to create posts and topics.

elevator doors? how?

how do i make normal functional elevator doors?

i used an func_dynamic and a logic timer, but it seems the door ignores the "set animation" command. and enable and disable doesent help either.

done with map for contest...
WOOT COMPETITION

What about a trigger with a delay? That works for me.

in the past, you would create the door first then group it with the elevator function.

hey meloen,

For one, you have to place the doors 90 degrees clockwise of how it looks like it should in the editor.

So, when the door is in place in hammer, it looks rotated to a point it doesn't even cover the door, however, when it opens in the game, it should function properly.

I've found that triggering SetAnimation does work, but only if you have the door in the proper spot. The options for SetAnimation are open, close, and close_idle. To keep it open, you have to trigger it, if you just say that it's default animation is open, it'll open over and over again.

To get a good idea, just place some elevator doors in the middle of a map and see how they differ from the way it looks in the editor.

The only thing I haven't gotten working is to add clipping to them, you have to turn clipping totally off on the elevator doors so they don't cause problems.
For the most part, once players get into the elevator, it fades out to black and the level ends, anyway. And if you are just getting out of the elevator, they open so fast you wont have problems with players noticing.

I figured out the clipping problems from an official map.

When you trigger your door to open, as well as sending a SetAnimation, also send the doors prop_dynamic a DisableCollision. Hammer will display this in red and with the broken link symbol because it does not recognise it, but just apply and carry on. You should also remember to send a EnableCollision when you close the doors.

Only a spider trusts the web