Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Editing .MDL files?

Page 1 of 2Next

Hey, Guys.

I want to edit the Underground-Paintdropper to change the Color of the Gel on it, to use it as custom model under a new Name for my actual map-project that uses a new Geltype with a new color. So I used GCFScape to get the .mdl File. But I can't find any programm to edit this.
The only one I've found is called Jeds Half-Life Model viewer (or somtehing like that) that is Chrashing when I try to load the mdl :/

So, anyone know wich else programm I could use?

You want to make a new Skin?
The skins are under Materials->Props_underground->underground_paintdropper.vtf

So, you need to copy the paintdropper model files (you did), and rename (did also).
Then you must decompile the .mdl of your own copy, where you can change the skin (Skotty's decompile Tutorial)

Spoiler
Sorry, only logged-in users can see spoilers.

TheTobbell wrote:
The skins are under Materials->models->Props_underground->underground_paintdropper.vtf

Corrected that for you ;)

@Flo2912: the best way to go is to hex the model, not to decompile/recompile it. Check out this other thread, it should be useful for you.

And I'd suggest you to edit the file underground_paintdropper_nopaint.vtf because.... well... it has no paint >.< so you don't need to remove it before putting your new colour paint.

ImageImageImageImageImageuseful tools and stuff here on TWP :thumbup:
[spoiler]ImageImageImageImageImage[/spoiler]
josepezdj wrote:

Ouh, Thanks :D

josepezdj wrote:
And I'd suggest you to edit the file underground_paintdropper_nopaint.vtf because.... well... it has no paint >.< so you don't need to remove it before putting your new colour paint.

Hmm.. but for example, when he edits the skin with paint, he just needs to change the RGB of the paint, when he knows how to do that :D (Unless he want to make a new paint "splash" form)

josepezdj wrote:
TheTobbell wrote:
The skins are under Materials->models->Props_underground->underground_paintdropper.vtf

@Flo2912: the best way to go is to hex the model, not to decompile/recompile it. Check out this other thread, it should be useful for you.

But then what will you use for water droppers? :P

Falsi sumus crusto!

Just follow the tutorial josepezdj already posted. It's eggsactly what you need and there is no need in this case to recompile the model.

FelixGriffin wrote:
josepezdj wrote:
TheTobbell wrote:

You can make a copy of the model, like everyone does when they reskin models.

FelixGriffin wrote:

You can give whatever name to the edited texture and still keep the "nopaint" one for the clean water dropper :p

TheTobbell wrote:
Hmm.. but for example, when he edits the skin with paint, he just needs to change the RGB of the paint, when he knows how to do that :D (Unless he want to make a new paint "splash" form)

Well, yeah... that will only depend on how each one wants to edit the texture or his ability with an image editor; I guess you could also use the white paint texture, select all the white splashes and edit its RGB curves... up to the OP's wish.

ImageImageImageImageImageuseful tools and stuff here on TWP :thumbup:
[spoiler]ImageImageImageImageImage[/spoiler]

i've done the postet Tutorial, but I did something wrong :(

The model is shwown up as available File in the List, but its completly empty without any testure :(

And what do you want us to do now? We don't know what you did wrong. We don't see what files you have. We don't see what you changed.

Page 1 of 2Next