Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Easy Custom Challenge [RELEASE]

Page 1 of 3Next

Just playing with various custom map stuff. This is more of a proof of concept and learning tool than to make a really neat puzzle but i'm trying to implement every peice of Portal into the map. Next i'll work on an elevator, energy ball, and electrical wires going from the button to the door ect.

I'll post how I did this when I get the chance but I wanted to more or less work on my map tonight. ;)

Link: http://forums.thinking.withportals.com/dload.php?action=file&file_id=5
File moved to Download Database.

Portal: Quest for Cake: 5%
[img]www31.brinkster.com/taob1/Signiture2.bmp[/img]

hey, that's pretty neat. i think i might try this (the resources hack). do turrets work? you've got a leak behind the door, and the un-portable texture is portable, and i'm not sure if having an observation window with no room behind it is a good idea. It is neat to see the resources, though.

your camera doesn't fall off the wall :( nice map though, fun to see the first portal-style portal map.

Cool little map. Keep up the good work. I agree on the camera though.

Signature removed, no pyramid scheme links allowed. Read the forum rules for information.
-Thanks, The Management

I'll give it a run now mate, can't wait. :)

Life is like a pipe, it's hard to get through and you're not always guaranteed a happy ending.

Just tested it, very nice work NullSoldier! It was too easy & simple, but it felt very "canon". Again, nice work.

Althought some bugs:

1. When placing a portal at one of GLaDOS cameras and placing the other portal at another place, it doesn't fall down like it used to in the original maps.

2. You can place portals on the metal surfaces behind the locked door.

3. There are some texture/clipping error behind the locked door. Go into that room and try to get out of it again, and you'll see the problem.

Overall though, nice map! Keep it up Null!

- Nezerv

I'm thinking with portals!

I couldn't of said it much better than Nezerv so I won't try. ;)

Life is like a pipe, it's hard to get through and you're not always guaranteed a happy ending.

I got an odd effect when placing a portal behind the camera. and another one on ground level. When you walk into the second one and touch the camera, you get launched back, like a sort of flinging effect.

My specializations:
-Thinking with portals
-Killing with Pyro's
-Defending with Engineers
-Healing with Medics

heh, i'll fix all that stuff tonight. From what i've read, unfortuntaely theres nothing you can do to stop portals from being created on walls. I'll have to set up a trigger for every darn metal surface if I want to.

In the mean time, don't put them on metal if you do your a cheater! =P

I'll try to have the first guide out tonight on how I made it. The texture problems in the back are just me being lazy and taking away the "nodraw".

Portal: Quest for Cake: 5%
[img]www31.brinkster.com/taob1/Signiture2.bmp[/img]

How do you get the camera to follow you? i used the entity npc_security_camera with nothing extra changed (there didn't seem to be alot to change). Is there another entity that it has to be?

Also, I cant for the life of me find the box, I'm looking in props_detail, and it's not there. Again, is there another entity to be used?

Sry if these are newbie questions, it's been a few years since i've mapped.

Page 1 of 3Next